Writing, Typing or Expressing?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. jainismus profile image71
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

Today no author writes using a pen, but they are expressing themselves by using keyboards. Then why we know them as writers?

1. joanwz profile image81
      joanwzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, while I use the keyboard for most of my writing, I do like using pen and paper sometimes. I like the feel of putting pen to paper.  I find that, when my brain is in high gear, I need the keyboard because I can type faster than when I'm writing longhand. But when I need to slow my thinking process down, I write longhand.

As for why we're still called writers when we use a keyboard? Typing is a form of writing, that's why the typewriter was called a typewriter. While our keyboards are now attached to a computer, we are still typewriting - in a manner of speaking. It's just not the type of writing you associate with pen and paper. At least that's my theory, and I;'m sticking with it.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I write anything of length with a pen. Not a pencil, a pen. It helps me to write The keyboard is too fast and I can't get thoughts out that fast. Of course, I'm talking about fiction.

Writing nonfiction often needs online help and I only write shorter pieces.

3. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To me, this does not make any sense.

4. profile image0
      setarehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I actually write with pens . . . sorry about that.
      But, do you expect them to be called typers instead of writers? Because the outcome is still the same, isn't it, either way?

2. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

What I type into a computer is often no different than what I write with pen and paper- however, I prefer typing when I write. My thoughts move far faster than I could ever write, and often when I write by hand, it shows. My sentences are disjointed and don't flow as smoothly. However, I type nearly 200 wpm (I'm actually not terribly proud of that fact-it makes me look like I have no life) so I can easily keep up with what I'm thinking and things flow more smoothly. I can edit my thoughts while I type more easily without losing track of the next idea.

Writing is all the same idea, whether you use paper and pen or whether you use a keyboard. You're still putting your ideas and thoughts in word form.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You should have a lot of free time if you can type that fast. smile The rest of us are spending 3x the amount of time typing.

1. Shanna11 profile image74
        Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm... I never looked at it that way! The only reason I type so fast is because I spend all my time typing on the computer though. Lol, I remember being faster than my parents at the age of eleven when I was typing stories and saving them on floppy disks.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wow thats amazing are you sure its 200 wpm? I'm sure your keyboard will be on fire big_smile I write anywhere between 70 - 100 wpm.

3. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 12 years ago

I still carry a pen and pad around to put down whatever when inspiration strikes me.  I would have lost a lot of ideas had I not.  Still, I end up typing the final product.  Clearly, the term 'writer' isn't referring to the physical act of putting pen to paper.  It refers to the act of communicating through written language.  It is irrelevant what medium is used.

1. savanahl profile image67
      savanahlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I, too, have a pen and pad with me at all times. Whenever I write poetry I find a much more creative flow when I write it out, but when I write articles I type them out. Not sure why. smile

4. vespawoolf profile image92
    vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

What we write comes from the mind, so whether using a pen and paper or a keyboard, we're still "writing". Writing is the act of expressing our thoughts and feelings. I think most writers use both mediums, although the keyboard has gained more popularity.

5. Tara Anderton profile image61
    Tara Andertonposted 12 years ago

I only write with pen and paper. I transfer later onto my computer! I seriously write 65000 words by hand and I wouldnt have it any other way!

6. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 12 years ago

Why do we call being at the controls of a car 'driving?'  It probably comes from an age when we use to have to 'drive' a horse or horses or bullocks or whatever to get them to move us along.   The word Writer is traditional, just as the word driver is.   Why should we change it when we're all aware of what it means, whether we do long-hand writing, shorthand, type, or simply dictate into a machine.  We are writing.

7. ChelleLars profile image60
    ChelleLarsposted 12 years ago

Typing--whether on a computer, typewriter, cell phone, or tablet--is the physical act. We associate typing with secretaries and stenographers; not as the origin of the ideas, but as the "transcriber" --one who makes a written copy. The original tools were chisels or paint on stone, or sticks on clay tablets. Over time, we've used paint, quills, pens and pencils. However, we've never referred to writers as "quillers" or "pencilers" either--at least not universally! We recognize the difference between the tools and the act.

Writing is a mental act. It is the process of distilling amorphous ideas into a coherent physical form so that others may understand those ideas.

I would argue that "expressing" is much to general of a term, as it incorporates ALL methods of expression, including art and music.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)