jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (22 posts)

For the poets: What person, place or thing influences your writing, or enhances

1. ytsenoh profile image86
    ytsenohposted 5 years ago

For the poets: What person, place or thing influences your writing, or enhances its direction?

2. xstatic profile image59
    xstaticposted 5 years ago

I spent a lot of summers as a kid from about age eight to fifteen with my dad in a litlle town in West Texas, population about 2400. I have written a serie of poems about that time and place which I am going to put into a book of poetry.  I have not published any of these on HP, but have shared them with my poetry group and they have encouraged me greatly.

3. thecoffeewrite profile image85
    thecoffeewriteposted 5 years ago

My biggest influence is a drive of my spirit through my emotions.  Right now, most of what I've written has been in an emotional response to the way I felt about someone or something.

4. annart profile image86
    annartposted 5 years ago

A sight or an action that catches my eye.  It can be anything around me or any thought triggered by something someone says or does.  I think we just have to be sensitive and aware of the world in general. 
    I suppose things closer to home have more influence; family, friends, the garden, wildlife.  The joy of living and the emotions that accompany it are the main factors.
    If you want a root influence, then that's my Dad - he wrote plays, poems, articles and had a wonderful sense of humour.

5. Jaggedfrost profile image80
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

A lot of the time I write from a place that is responding or discussing a conversation I had with someone.  Sometimes they are observations about life and parallels I find between the mundane and the ethereal.   I often observe and thus am filled with things to say.  As poetry is a language for me more then anything else I just seek for some thought to take form and then I do what I can to express it as clearly or concisely in poem form.

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I have a lot of emotions that roil around inside of me all the time.  Some of it is chronic depression, some of it is from my childhood. So I find if I can take those dark emotions and channel them into a poem or dramatic piece, it is very satisfying and cathartic.  Even though the poems do not tend to be autobiographical - they do tend to pack a punch and that is what I want - to feel something strong and intense when I write and reread it.

Truthfully, I write poetry for myself as an outlet.  I am thrilled if someone else likes it or enjoys it, but it is mostly for my own release.

7. christin53 profile image82
    christin53posted 5 years ago

For me it's my mood and how I am feeling. I could be sat pondering on the past or outdoors looking at the weather or nature. it all affects how I feel and I like to write it down while its still fresh in my mind. I end up with lots of scribbled notes in my pocket.

8. Sheena Hayes profile image59
    Sheena Hayesposted 5 years ago

So much of my poetry is derived from trial and tribulation. I find that my heart feels less weighty when I can turn something ugly into something beautiful.

9. Beata Stasak profile image82
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

Surrounded by people the most of my life, in my personal life as well in my profession and voluntary work, I need my 'little imaginative corner' where I reflect on people I met, work I have done and places I have visited...the best way to do it for me is in writing:)...as an artist I prefer poetic form in words and images:)

10. yssubramanyam profile image61
    yssubramanyamposted 5 years ago

The inspiration seed with in will sprout involuntarily to express on paper.

1. Jaggedfrost profile image80
      Jaggedfrostposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like this version better.

2. shara63 profile image69
      shara63posted 5 years agoin reply to this

well justified statement...i like this!

11. RoxiM profile image61
    RoxiMposted 5 years ago

I'm often inspired during my drive to and from work. Since I'm a substitute teacher for a county-wide school district, my drive may be different every day of the week. Often, the inspiration is something I see on my drive, combined with thoughts I've had circulating through my mind for days, plus odd tidbits of conversation I heard at school.

12. AliceFSpencer profile image62
    AliceFSpencerposted 5 years ago

Love, I am in love with love ~ I have so many poems that color the rainbow of emotions that go into loving someone, someplace or something. There are very clear moments on my life and I always remember poetry being there too.

13. shara63 profile image69
    shara63posted 5 years ago

anything that touch my feelings....from abstract to living things, tregedy or melody & humour to laughter , but what inspires me more is the nature...every bit of nature influences my writing.

14. Jaggedfrost profile image80
    Jaggedfrostposted 5 years ago

A look at where I get my inspiration to write. read more

1. ytsenoh profile image86
      ytsenohposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for writing a hub related to this question.

15. Courtney_CollinsD profile image79
    Courtney_CollinsDposted 5 years ago

My poetry is usually triggered when a huge event happens in my life. Whether is a death in the family, something that's out of control or a happy thing. My main inspiration way back in the day was my mother abandoning me.

16. connorj profile image77
    connorjposted 5 years ago

I defer to the DSM IV; it is full of psychological information which breeds wonderful prose...

17. Keith Ham profile image60
    Keith Hamposted 5 years ago

The moon, the planets, they all do. I write prose poems quite a bit, I always blend quite a good amount of spirituality and mysticism.

18. raciniwa profile image73
    raciniwaposted 5 years ago

my mood influences my writing...if i am happy or inspired, i write sublime poems, if i am sad, then my poems are gloomy and dark too...

19. MellyMoo profile image60
    MellyMooposted 5 years ago

Pain from the past&hope for the future. My awareness&appreciation of the beauty surrounding us all, in nature, animals&within ourselves.