Do you think there is a connection between good writers and "tortured souls"?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. buckleupdorothy profile image70
    buckleupdorothyposted 11 years ago

Do you think there is a connection between good writers and "tortured souls"?

If not, why do you think that so many people think of the stereotypical writer/artist as a "tortured soul" or as someone who often suffers from depression etc. Do you think that this stereotype affects potential writers?

2. golfcart34 profile image67
    golfcart34posted 11 years ago

I personally think this really depends on the writer in question.  Similarly, they usually say some of the best actors out there are bi-polar, however this really is hard to judge when you don't know the particular mental status of the individual.

With that being said, however, I have ADHD and I've been diagnosed with depression, and I've received numerous accolades from others I know on the quality of my writing.  For me, the ADHD and depression are who I am and I think that totally affects how I write, however I don't necessarily think that's the case for everybody.

3. leroy64 profile image65
    leroy64posted 11 years ago

I cannot buy into the stereotype of the tortured, alcoholic writer even if I am from the South. 

Look at it this way.  If you have two equally talented writers one a tortured soul and the other living the same life everyone else is having, who is going to get the movie made about their life. 

It is possible the tortured soul writes more than most people as a release and is just better because of practice.  Or possibly.... the tortured artist cannot hold down a nine to five job and writes/paints/sings in order to pay the bills.

4. CM Sullivan profile image78
    CM Sullivanposted 11 years ago

Most people with a so called "tortured soul," definitely think differently than people who are "normal." There have been recent scientific studies which have shown the connection between lower density receptors in the brain for dopamine (called D2 receptors), in the Thalamus, and high creativity. They have found other connections with dopamine and high creativity in other ways it funcions in the brain as well. Tortured souls just see and experience things others will never see or refuse to. I think they feel things differently sometimes and such deep and unavoidable sorrow, how can they not be able to put these extreme raw emotions to paper or music or whatever better than others might?

Not to mention the other proof. All the creative geniuses throughout history who were depressed, bipolar, or schizophrenic, a short list:

Beethoven
    Mozart
    Virginia Woolf
    Leo Tolstoy
    Keats
    Van Gogh
    Newton
    Hemingway
    Sylvia Plath
    Michealangelo
    Edgar Allen Poe
    Charles Dickens
    Charles Bukowski
    Jack Kerouac
    William S. Burroughs
    Allen Ginsberg

Not everyone who has been a highly creative writer etc. in history had mental illness of course but the fact is a huge number have.
    P.S. Abraham Lincoln was a massive suicidal depressive, and I'm sure that's the only reason he is famous. Maybe they will make a movie about his life because of it.

5. Eric Calderwood profile image77
    Eric Calderwoodposted 11 years ago

I think one possibility for a connection of good writers and "tortured souls" is that good writers live vicariously through their characters in order to get into their heads.  So, especially if they are writing about characters going through hard times, they are experiencing the conflict and setbacks that they are putting their characters through.

6. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

I think perhaps one connection may be that the very act of being "tortured" may indicate that these individuals are able to feel deep empathy and are moved deeply by the world around them. Not all people are.

Many people know what's going on around them, but not many people are moved passionately. "Tortured Souls" take empathy and passion to another level and it is often through music and verse that deep levels of passion and empathy are best captured.

7. Craig Suits profile image63
    Craig Suitsposted 11 years ago

Absolutely...
    I'm working on my third book and even I can recognise the connections between me and the storybook characters. Most of what you are inside has to come out sooner or later...

8. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

I believe most writers have a connection to what ever they are writing. Moods most certainly play a part. But "tortured souls" I think it would depend on what kind of story is told. Fantasy as much as experience makes for good story lines.

9. Diane Woodson profile image62
    Diane Woodsonposted 11 years ago

I was going to say yes because of all the deep things we write on, Sullivan below gave all of the proof. We must have that somewhere in our persona or else we wouldn't write so well.

10. Civil War Bob profile image59
    Civil War Bobposted 11 years ago

Tortured souls probably write good psychotic/neurotic/chaotic stuff, but the ability to convey the message is not connected to the angst. 
    Someone who is a good writer...check out my hubs and those of lots of Hubbers... doesn't need to be tortured.  In fact, being "redeemed" and heading to Heaven as Christian writers would say, can produce real quality positive writing...IF the person has good writing skills.
    The stereotype is in part that they've gotten more press because the dark side of humanity is usually more attractive to readers.
    It may affect potential writers, but if the writing bug bites, you'll scratch!

11. Availiasvision profile image80
    Availiasvisionposted 11 years ago

I was told in film school that no story exists without conflcit.  A tortured soul is familiar with internal and external conflict giving them an edge over others with less conflict. Also, you write what you know and if what you know is dark, then you will write darker pieces. As writers we have the propensity to live in our heads too much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)