jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Who is your favorite fairy tale writer?

1. ishwaryaa22 profile image90
    ishwaryaa22posted 5 years ago

Who is your favorite fairy tale writer?

My most favorite fairy tale writer is the Brothers Grimm. I also enjoyed reading the fairy tales written by Hans Christian Anderson and Charles Perrault.

2. chipped teacup profile image92
    chipped teacupposted 5 years ago

I have loved Gail Carson Levine ever since I was little.  She writes for a younger audience but I still love all her books!  Ella Enchanted is my favorite!

3. traslochimilano profile image59
    traslochimilanoposted 5 years ago

I also Like Gail Carson Books & She writes for youth persons.

4. profile image0
    whowasposted 5 years ago

The classics that you mention in your question are all wonderful sources of fairytales.

I would also recommend the modern re-interpreters of the fairytale genre for a grown-up audience which can also have a darker, more disturbing edge. I'm thinking of writers such as Angela Carter, Tanith Lee, Charles deLint and Terri Windling.

The fairytale tradition goes right back into prehistory and was only 'cleaned up' and reproduced as simple children's tales from the early 18th Century onwards.

Not that there is anything wrong with those sanitised versions. We all love them. Although I don't have much respect for Disney's sentimentalist massacre of the genre.

Nice question, thanks.

5. Deborah Brooks profile image81
    Deborah Brooksposted 5 years ago

Charles Perrault: He was born in Paris on January 12, 1628, and died on May 16, 1703.
    he wrote

Little Red Riding Hood

Sleeping Beauty -  Sleeping Beauty

Puss in Boots

Cinderella
    great writer...
    Bluebeard

Diamonds and Toads

Patient Griselda

The Ridiculous Wishes

Donkeyskin

working