When you write, who serves as the intended audience you're writing to?

1. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image87
    HeadlyvonNogginposted 5 years ago

When you write, who serves as the intended audience you're writing to?

I have found that I write much more frequently and effortlessly when I'm writing to or for someone specifically. Do all writers have someone in particular they imagine speaking to when they write? If so, is it always the same person/people, or does the audience change with the subject being written about?

2. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

With most of the stuff I write on HubPages (which is different from stuff I write elsewhere or under different circumstances), I write as if I'm having a conversation with a friend.  It doesn't matter who/what the friend is because whatever I'm saying would be the same, regardless of who/what the friend is.  It's just "some friend" that I kind of have in mind as I write.  As with real friends in real life, I'm always the same me, but the subject of each conversation is different much of the time.

If I'm writing something that I'm aiming at a younger audience, I'm more likely to shift my tone/thinking to be more like what I'd say to a real young person I was having a conversation with in real life.

Sometimes, though, I don't imagine any audience at all.  With some kinds of subjects/writing, I'll think more in terms of "getting what I have to say out to the world in general".  When I do that (oddly, perhaps), I'm not imagining "everyone in the world".  I'm imagining nobody and nothing at the other end of my writing.  Instead, the relationship switches from "me and any reader" to "me and the words I'm writing".  In fact, sometimes it isn't even "me and the words I'm writing".  Instead, it's just "the words I'm writing".

3. tlmcgaa70 profile image76
    tlmcgaa70posted 5 years ago

it all depends on what i am writing about. when i write articles on pets or animals, i imagine animal lovers (or someone seeking info on them) reading it. when i write articles on GOD, it is to those who believe (or who are curious). if i write about food it is to those who love to cook and/or eat it. very rarely do i write with only one person in mind as an audience.