jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Why are books and magazines more in Canada?

1. Pamela N Red profile image86
    Pamela N Redposted 5 years ago

Why are books and magazines more in Canada?

Here in America I see two different prices on periodicals and books. The US price is much lower than the Canadian cost. Does anyone know why?

2. MickS profile image74
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Are you compensating for US dollars against Canadian dollars?
    There may be  different rates of  any purchase tax that may levied in Canada and the USA.

3. T. R. Brown profile image78
    T. R. Brownposted 5 years ago

Historically it was because the Canadian dollar traded lower than the USD, but these days there is parity, so I think they are probably just taking advantage of the fact that people are used to seeing the price difference.

4. suzzycue profile image93
    suzzycueposted 5 years ago

This is because the population is a lot less in Canada than in the United States. So there are less people to buy so the price goes up.

5. Cassie Smith profile image69
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

That's a good question.  I think it's probably the exchange rates or perhaps Canada taxes things that come from the US.

1. teaches12345 profile image96
      teaches12345posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You may have something here, Cassie. I have often wondered this fact myself.

6. profile image73
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

TR Brown's idea makes the most sense to me. I also think that shipping costs and taxation could be an issue as well.  I have picked up British mags in Barnes and Noble before, and promptly put them down when i realized what the price in US Dollars was!

7. Marc Babineau profile image79
    Marc Babineauposted 5 years ago

Border fees and the so-called "free trade agreement".

working