jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Have you ever taken a writer's retreat?

1. joanwz profile image76
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Have you ever taken a writer's retreat?

Was it a solitary retreat or a group reatreat? Did you work on a schedule or let the writing sessions flow however they wanted to flow?

2. JanieWrites profile image60
    JanieWritesposted 5 years ago

No, but it is something I have always dreamed about doing. I am planning a solitary retreat later this summer, however. I have enough air miles and hotel points for a free week anywhere in the US. I want to take my laptop and just write with no interruptions by family or other work.

3. Laura Schneider profile image90
    Laura Schneiderposted 5 years ago

No, but I'd love to.

Haha Since I am a professional tech writer 40+ hours a week, someday I'd like to take a break FROM writing, but I just can't resist even on the weekends.

4. SylviaSky profile image95
    SylviaSkyposted 5 years ago

Yes, two of them, each for two weeks. Writers came and went: Some stayed for a week, some for two months. Expect two or three days of adjustment where you will probably not write at all as you get used to the place and your room. You could work anytime at any hour by putting a "do not disturb" sign on your door. However, at one writer's colony we all had to show up for dinner at 6 p.m., sometimes interrupting my work. Organized retreats and writers' colonies usually allow only published writers or those who can show significant progress on a significant book manuscript, and there's lots of competition.

5. kyleesterley profile image62
    kyleesterleyposted 5 years ago

No, but I would totally love to go to one. It would be great knowing the only thing I had to do for a whole weekend was to write. Jack Kerouak had his own retreat in the mountains and wrote Desolation Angels while he was there. Amazing...

working