jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Is it "old school" thinking to say you prefer a paperbook to a Nook?

1. Rosie2Travel profile image60
    Rosie2Travelposted 5 years ago

Is it "old school" thinking to say you prefer a paperbook to a Nook?

I have the chance to get a really nice eReader for a reasonable price...but part of me is loathe to transition from paper to digital. Is being "old school" going to hinder me from experiencing my favorite books?

2. ComfortB profile image88
    ComfortBposted 5 years ago

It could. If you are rigid, inflexible, and not keen on CHANGE!

Embrace the change! It's good for you. Think about it, you don't ever have to lick your finger to open another page again. lol.

Have a blessed eDay!

3. LaThing profile image73
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

I still like reading a good paper book, although I do everything else on my iPad! It's nothing to do with changes or being from the old school, it's just what I enjoy.

4. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I don't think it's old school thinking.  I have a Kindle Fire and as much as I enjoy it, there are times when a real paper book is just better.

5. Angela Brummer profile image43
    Angela Brummerposted 5 years ago

It would probably depend on if you are being answered by my father, myself or my children.  LOL

6. inaniLoquence profile image70
    inaniLoquenceposted 5 years ago

I have stopped myself from buying an eReader because I really really really really want to preserve something from the "past". As we all know, we are becoming more and more digital and someday, almost every aspect of our lives will be run by/with technology (if this hasn't happened yet).

I know that the eReader has tons of advantages and even more so than the paperback. However, I still think that the good ole books are my way of getting in touch with my roots. The smell, the yellowing changes on the pages, the heavy-ness.... all of these can't be replaced.

7. Seeker7 profile image96
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

Why can't you have both? I occassionaly use an e-reader when it's convenient, but all my favourite books are also in hardback and paperback. I love the feel, smell and touch of paper books that an e-reader can't compare to. I'm 'old school' myself, and I can't fully make the transition either, so I go for the next best thing. On the whole, I use an e-reader for learning books and I buy paperback/hardback for my fiction. Paper learning books tend to be so much more expensive than paper fiction, but with e-readers the cost is much less. I also feel I'm doing something for the planet by reducing the amount of paper products I use.

1. Rosie2Travel profile image60
      Rosie2Travelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My reading is mostly recreational/fiction. I figure I'll either keep the book and read it a ridiculous amount of times or sell it to a used book store (both eco-friendly). My back wishes I'd transfer to e-readers since luggin 2-3 books is brutal! lol

2. Seeker7 profile image96
      Seeker7posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's a good point about having to lug books about - at least the e-readers are much kinder to our backs!