jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)

Paper books or kindle? Which do you prefer and why?

1. Deep Metaphysical profile image72
    Deep Metaphysicalposted 5 years ago

Paper books or kindle? Which do you prefer and why?

I personally prefer kindle as it is more convenient and 1 kindle(or any other e-book reader) = several books. Besides, it saves trees.

2. musicalcroc profile image74
    musicalcrocposted 5 years ago

Paper books for me, on account of my habit of writing comments on the margin.

3. Craig Suits profile image77
    Craig Suitsposted 5 years ago

Your right on the tree thing. It's not but it should be our only consideration.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image96
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, the new technology will never replace paper books.  I like the feel and smell of them...and for those books that I really like, I enjoy the feeling of seeing them on my bookshelf and feeling like they are old friends.  Can't get that with a Kindle.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

Both have their place, I'll always love paper books, but it sure is nice to be able to carry a whole library in your pocket.

6. Twilight Lawns profile image81
    Twilight Lawnsposted 5 years ago

I've only had my Kindle for a short time and I'm carrying around 102 books right now.
    Imagine how much lavatory paper that would make.
    Just waiting for John Steinbeck and Frederic Prokosch and Evelyn Waugh and Thornton Wildre and and and and
    But I suppose I can wait.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I have a Kindle but I still have lots of "real" books. I love my Kindle for its convenience. When I need to take notes I can and link them to the phrase I'm talking about.

8. flashmakeit profile image71
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

I like kindle better because you do not have to store and preserve them, although I really think it is easier to read a book.

9. Dale Hyde profile image87
    Dale Hydeposted 5 years ago

I prefer the Kindle. I use mine daily while commuting to work.  Easy to carry and fit into my bag. Plus, when I turn it on, I am ready to go... right where I left off. No issue with a bookmark falling out and such.

Another positive aspect of the Kindle is privacy when reading in public. Believe it or not, pulling out the latest book on Witchcraft or Wicca and reading it publicly is not always a wise choice. The cover will draw attention, many times good, sometimes bad. With the Kindle, no one knows what I am reading.

We have 100's of books in the home, however, as my wife prefers books to the Kindle. smile We have a "balance" so to speak. smile

10. hi friend profile image61
    hi friendposted 5 years ago

I loves both paper books and kindle as both of them have its own importance.

11. newcalendar profile image67
    newcalendarposted 5 years ago

It has to be books, the feel of them, the smell, etc but also practically they're cheaper and you can trade them in. You can never trade in an ebook.

12. myownlife profile image39
    myownlifeposted 5 years ago

AS you have said kindle is more convenient as having had several books and easy to carry. Yes certainly choosing kindle is saving nature as well.

13. Gray Baker profile image60
    Gray Bakerposted 5 years ago

Kindle for sure. You don't need light, especially my Kindle Fire, as you would with those old fashiony 20th Century blocks of paper. Ick. Though, playing Devil's Advocate, I do like having a library, as it just makes you feel smarter; and I love the smell of a new book.

14. jadesmg profile image90
    jadesmgposted 5 years ago

prefer real books but e-books can be much more convient for travel so i do use tend to use e-book recently but still do love a library.

15. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

There's nothing more relaxing than sitting on the  porch swing/futon on a rainy day with a nice hot cup of tea, with a good book....the smell of the paper..sound/smell of the rain...AWESOME ! and you don't have to worry about your charge level of your BOOK as you would with a  kindle !!! and you can loan the book to a friend....unlike a kindle which I don't loan to anyone....

16. WillStarr profile image81
    WillStarrposted 5 years ago

I like both, but in the end, books don't run out of battery power or stop working, so I like real books better.

working