jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If you make your living by writing for the Web, can you introduce yourself as a

1. profile image65
    Beaksposted 5 years ago

If you make your living by writing for the Web, can you introduce yourself as a writer?

2. ar.colton profile image84
    ar.coltonposted 5 years ago

You can introduce yourself as whatever you want. I've been introducing myself as a writer for years. My non-fiction has been published for a few years now but even when my un-pubbed apprenticeship as a novelist made up my entire CV I told people that's what I did, because it was.

3. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 5 years ago

I agree with ar.colton...your work will define your ability as a writer, nothing less no matter how much money you make doing it.  The issue of money only enters the picture to beg, "how could such a lousy writer be so overpaid?"  Money will never define the writer, only provide some measurement of the degree of success in the commercial aspect of the business.  There are many, many, very good writers who so deserve the title but who will never make a living from the process.  WB

4. sethpowers profile image69
    sethpowersposted 5 years ago

Yes, just be prepared to justify your statements. If someone presses you for information explain you are an internet writer and you write freelance articles or a blog or whatever. Don't say you are a professional writer if you don't make money, and don't say you are a novelist if you only write nonfiction articles. It's pretty simple, just be truthful.

5. profile image65
    Beaksposted 5 years ago

I've found it pretty far from simple. When I was a reporter, people accepted "reporter" as my job title. But after five years of making a living with Web writing, people act weird when I try to explain it. They assume that "writer" means a magazine or book writer.

I do think that money defines the writer. People who don't make money at it can call themselves a writer to themselves, as I did for many years, but when you do make a living at it, you should be able to introduce yourself as such.

working