jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What are some key elements of a really good story?

1. Ariana Phillips profile image73
    Ariana Phillipsposted 5 years ago

What are some key elements of a really good story?

2. nochance profile image93
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

A three dimensional character who wants something, runs into an obstacle, and ultimately achieves their goal in an unexpected way.

3. backporchstories profile image79
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

When I come across a good story, it usually has a grabbing first chapter, characters that immediately stand out and an unforseen twist in the plot!

Ariana Phillipsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I also really like plot twists when I read a story. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go about writing them though.

4. floriferous profile image59
    floriferousposted 5 years ago

These are a just a few things that keep me reading, and they are also things I consider when writing fiction. Writers need to look at their work from the reader's perspective, though, so they should absolutely know what readers want.

1. Good writing with all the pretty shiny words in all the right places

2. Memorable characters

3. Strong protagonist

4. Just enough back story. "Never let the history get in the way of a good story." Can't remember who wrote that.

5. I want to finish reading a novel and "know" the main character, confident the writer also knew the main character because often he or she doesn't. I sometimes close a book and think, "She wouldn't have done that."  The story and characters need to be believable and consistent. 

6. I want the story to hang around in my head after reading it. I want a story I can mull over and think about for a while.

Ariana Phillipsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

These are some very good points. Thanks for the tips.

5. MilesArmbruster profile image61
    MilesArmbrusterposted 5 years ago

An interesting plot with surprises and a positive goal.
    Characters that are interesting and well developed.
    Dialog that engages.
    Settings that are compelling.

working