jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What makes a really good story, in your opinion?

1. TheDailyMessenger profile image61
    TheDailyMessengerposted 6 years ago

What makes a really good story, in your opinion?

2. maxoxam41 profile image77
    maxoxam41posted 6 years ago

A good writer. A good writer. A good writer.

3. seigfried23 profile image76
    seigfried23posted 6 years ago

first and foremost, no matter how great the idea or cool the subject, I must be able to connect or care about the characters, who must have human motivations - even if they're not human.  I have to care, for example, if a character dies or becomes very happy.

4. wonderingwoolley profile image56
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

A really good story captures my attention. I want to know what's going to happen, and I care what happens to the characters. A good read means that I don't want to put the book down. I don't count pages to see how many I have left, and I'll sacrifice sleep to finish it. It's a book I'll recommend to friends.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I have read many books that have all the elements for a good story, but the author did not make me care about the characters.  I have to care about what happens to them, they need to be likable.  I want to be so involved in the story that I can't wait to see what is going to happen - I want it to be a page-turner and part of that is caring about the characters and what will happen to them.

6. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

what makes a really good story to me is one that do not want to end, that has unexpected twists and turns, that i can identify with, and it keeps me turning pages from beginning to end...i just don't want to put it down till i finish it...the characters are well developed, intriguing, and invite me into their world.

working