jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

What book inspired you to write?

1. starstream profile image77
    starstreamposted 5 years ago

What book inspired you to write?

2. Radical Rog profile image79
    Radical Rogposted 5 years ago

Reading Biggles as a boy + other books.
    Reading is the best, maybe only way into being inspired to write. Reading how other people do it is also the best way to learn how to write.

1. maddot profile image79
      maddotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wind in the Willows.still love reading it!

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson, then I read Catriona which was the second part of the same book. This book, bound in blue cloth and with very thin paper but elegant font, I got for Christmas. It stood on my book shelf for years. Reading that beautiful prose was tricky at first but when I got stuck into it I began to appreciate his power of description and his talent for suspense. A great read for a young boy.
    That book sowed the seed in the back of my mind - to be able to write and create whatever story you wanted seemed the best thing in the whole world.

starstreamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your answer captures my interest in giving good books to children when they are young.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

I enjoyed a lot of genre fiction throughout middle and high school, but I think Harry Potter really spurred me on to not only read more, but write my own stuff. I wouldn't credit it as the only source for my writing; it was more like the spark that ignited the kindling that was already there. Every book I read after just fed the fire.

Yes, Harry Potter was quite an inspiration for many!

5. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years ago

starstream,

The book that inspired me to write was "Harriet the Spy."  I loved the way she would run around with her little notebook and record the world around her. It's something I've wanted to do ever since, and I do everyday. Knowing that everything around me is a potential article keeps me interested in life.

Lisa

I didn't ever read that book.  It sounds like a good one for kids.

6. Design Artistree profile image60
    Design Artistreeposted 5 years ago

"Little Women"--since I was a little girl, I guess I've always fancied myself another "Jo" smile Her character's perseverance to continue pursuing her writing/getting published because she loves it, and despite failure, is inspiring. I try to re-read it every couple years.

Thanks for your answer.  I think perseverance is important for all of us writers.

7. milleramanda53 profile image79
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

Dr. Suess, Green Eggs and Ham. I have always loved to write since childhood and loved to rhyme and that story has always stuck with me.

That is such a popular book with zillions of us around the world.  Thanks for your answer.

8. MPG1 profile image77
    MPG1posted 5 years ago

Ultimate Spider-man issue 10.  Read it in my 5th grade teacher's class.  That teacher inspired me with writing and when he saw how much I liked to read the comics he had in class he gave me the idea about writing comic books.  Thank you Mr. Wolfe.

Your teacher was quite an inspiration.

2. MPG1 profile image77
      MPG1posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Starstream

working