jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How often do you read non-fiction books for pleasure?

1. nakmeister profile image80
    nakmeisterposted 5 years ago

How often do you read non-fiction books for pleasure?

like travelogues, popular history, science etc

2. stanwshura profile image73
    stanwshuraposted 5 years ago

I actually prefer nonfiction to fiction, with poetry a close second, if that falls technically outside of either category.  I can't remember the last time I read fiction for pleasure.  I do end up reading it periodically as it is an inevitability because of another writing site's requirement to rate other writers' work.  Some pieces are pleasurable, but the nature of the impetus for my reading them has the effect, sometimes, of feeling like a chore, whereas I don't feel quite the "awww, do I have to?" when rating nonfiction.  I think every book I own (bought excitedly and thus must obviously be pleasurable and otherwise highly motivating) is nonfiction.

1. Lady Wordsmith profile image82
      Lady Wordsmithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

See, I need a little of your attitude.  I would dearly love to read more nonfiction, but it makes me tired!  I would imagine you have a much bigger IQ than mine smile

3. Lady Wordsmith profile image82
    Lady Wordsmithposted 5 years ago

I read science, popular science I think you might say, as often as possible, though not as often as I would like.  I don't find it as easy to get drawn into as a piece of fiction, possibly because it requires much more effort to enjoy - that's not a criticism of nonfiction, that's a criticism of myself, for being too lazy.

On my reading pile at the moment I have two science books, two fictions, one cycling autobiography and a children's book that I'm reading to my boys.  I have to have plenty of energy and motivation to choose the science over the fiction.

working