jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you know if your idea for a children's book is worthwhile?

1. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 5 years ago

How do you know if your idea for a children's book is worthwhile?

I've got ideas running about in my head, silly little songs my partner and I make up, a story made up with friends a long time ago that all of us still remember.  How do you know it'll work as a children's book?

2. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 5 years ago

I follow one simple philosophy when it comes to story ideas: "All ideas are stupid and silly; it all matters on how you work with them to make them great." With children's books also, it is imperative to think about how pictures can help make the book pop out to the children. You can make any idea worthwhile if you know how you want to work with it. Say you want a picture book about wolves protecting their pups from bears. Okay, it sounds cliche and it can come off as stupid to some, but if you make the pictures pop out and if you write the story as a poem, you may have a great story. I wouldn't think much on how to make the "idea" good, think about how to make your idea worthwhile and that can only be done by working with it smile

3. lupine profile image74
    lupineposted 5 years ago

Very simple...get a couple of children, or a group, read it to them, see if they enjoyed it. What was their reaction? This will help you to know.

4. LifeInPrint101 profile image60
    LifeInPrint101posted 5 years ago

I agree with lupine. Get some kids to read it. Kids are generally quite picky about what they read, what with having shorter attention spans etc, so the simplest, most surefire way, to know is to ask. That said, kids also in a sense are more open minded, because they bother a bit less about writing style, and more about the storyline. But don't get complacent, as they do know when something is compete rubbish. Just keep in mind that what one will like, another might not, and vice versa. So ask both girls and boys, and different kids who prefer different genres, and the chance is one of them will like it.