jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Has 50 shades of grey changed the modern sexual landscape?

1. CyclingFitness profile image93
    CyclingFitnessposted 5 years ago

Has 50 shades of grey changed the modern sexual landscape?

Has the book changed the needs and demands of women towards sex and their partners?

2. Cara.R profile image75
    Cara.Rposted 5 years ago

I don't think it has at all. All those kinky things are happening and have been for a long time.  Someone writes a book about it and everyone gets all hot and bothered. It's not as if it was the first erotic book ever written. I don't think it has changed the needs of woman. Woman's needs have been around all along. If both partners are communicating well and agree on what or how they want to have sex, then they will do whatever they want. If a woman wants something she is not getting from her partner then she needs to ask for it. Same for men.

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

One well publicised book may add another tiny notch but sexual expression and sexual knowledge have been revolutionised by the internet. Explicit images have been available, together with information, on a mass scale and all sorts of people are tapping in and, in many cases, freeing themselves from physical chains.

Emotional relationships are changing fast and with them sexual ideas and how to express sexuality. Young people go through partners nowadays with hardly an upset because they are detached - the internet and technology have no doubt been prime movers.

I think some people are becoming greedy these days when it comes to sexual needs and gratification. 50 shades will influence some, titillate many and be meaningless to those who think lust can never hope to fill the shoes of love.

4. pruntcess profile image68
    pruntcessposted 5 years ago

I don't think it has at all.  I think the widespread acceptance of the book is a result of the needs and demands of women becoming more accepted in mainstream society.  This type of activity has been well known and frequently practiced, although it has been kept "hush-hush" and is only now becoming okay to discuss in regular society.

5. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure that it has. The book is not much different from any other Romance Novel other than the fact that the New York Times decided to pull this one from the shelf and hype it up above the rest. It's given the media a lot to talk about and has got the public to read a book.