jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you require a certain creative flair to begin and be successful at writing?

1. Martyn Wright profile image84
    Martyn Wrightposted 5 years ago

Do you require a certain creative flair to begin and be successful at writing?

In general I'm new to the whole aspect of creatively putting pen to paper to write poetry or other articles, I feel I'm not the least bit articulate and for that reason I've always tended to avoid writing. I'm happy with a camera in my hand but feel it's time to diversify.
    Does this creativity come naturally, or like most things in life does it have to be learned. I feel some of my work is reasonable, I also feel some is lacklustre..

2. dmhenderson profile image60
    dmhendersonposted 5 years ago

I think it depends on what you plan on writing. Poetry-writing is generally conceded to be a creative pursuit, so I would answer yes if that's what you're planning on doing. On the other hand, I think engagingly written and informative pieces can be written by pragmatic, knowledgeable people who don't necessarily prioritize creativity.

Harder question, of course: how do you define creativity?

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I think some skill or talent is needed to be a productive writer. Lawyers write a lot, but some of them do not write well. Technical papers maybe accurate, but because they lack that small level of creativity that makes the technical stuff interesting, then they have not been trained enough as writers.

Technical manuals written by technical people for the lay person are the best example of why it is important to have that certain unknown factor that turns 20 words into a sentence that is retained and not one that loses the reader half-way through it.

4. CBartelmey profile image78
    CBartelmeyposted 5 years ago

This is a tough one because for me I believe I have always just been a fairly good writer.  I can still recall winning my first writing contest when I was only in the 3rd grade.  In fact I still have the piece of writing that I submitted to win that contest.  My mother on the other hand is truly a gifted artist.  She can draw anything and everything and it just comes out incredible.  Try reversing our roles however, and the best I could do would be to draw you a really good stick figure and she could write a letter that she would then ask me to revise.  But I will also say this, I have never actually done anything to improve my artist ability either.   Had I exhibited any sort of drive to improve my skill in that area, I probably would have done just that.  Diversification is good and while pen to paper might not have been what you gravitated toward first, capturing moments with a camera takes its own creativity, so you must have it, you just have to redirect it towards writing.

5. Simmy George profile image59
    Simmy Georgeposted 5 years ago

To begin writing you may not need that flair.. but to be successful with it , yes you would. What differentiates a successful writer from a writer is the ability of the writer to make his audience glued on to his or her writing. And for that at times you would have to think out of box... out of the conventional way . Once you begin to write and start loving the art of creating your own world, you would find yourself to be more and more creative.. Think of it.. You are someone with the power while writing.. you can do anything with your characters.. anything that may even seem to be crazily true.. But that's the catch.. would your audience believe it.. ? so along with the creativity what you need is RESEARCH.. Without the adequate research your writing would lack luster and that edge you would need