jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

What was your first paying writing or publishing job?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image84
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

What was your first paying writing or publishing job?

2. profile image0
    whowasposted 5 years ago

My first paid writing job was back in 1990, when I published an article in The Nursing Times on coercion and the use of psychotropic drugs in mental health care.

I was studying psychological medicine at the time (one of the many 'incarnations' during a colorful and varied life!) and was inspired to write it based on concerns that I had about the situations I had observed in clinical practice.

They bought it and published it without an edit and promptly paid me $150. It was about 1000 words.

It was so easy to write. I thought 'aha!' but it has never been quite that easy since!

1. buckleupdorothy profile image84
      buckleupdorothyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hah! I love it - and what a fascinating topic.

3. jacobkuttyta profile image77
    jacobkuttytaposted 5 years ago

My first paying writing was with an online bloging web site called sulekha .com

Now I am getting paid from hubpages.

1. profile image0
      SusieQ42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Mine is writing for HP, Textbroker and I have 3 blogs.  I write for Textbroker for a weekly paycheck.  Do I love what I do?  Not really, although I do enjoy HP and my blogs more because I can write what I want, when I want.

4. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

A couple of weeks after starting with Hubpages in April of last year, I joined the Yahoo Contributor's Network and had my very first article accepted for a payment of $2.00.  After that, I contributed two or three more articles, but had them all rejected.  Consequently, I gave up and stopped submitting to Yahoo and continued solely with Hubpages.

5. Dee aka Nonna profile image79
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 5 years ago

Years ago I wrote a story for one of the popular romance magazines of the time.  I was paid $200.00.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven and, I really, really, really needed the money.

6. Patkay profile image89
    Patkayposted 5 years ago

I got my first pay for writing from hubpages that is the year 2012. I have continuously enjoyed receiving my monthly pay from Hubpages.

7. profile image73
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

I wrote for the teen column in my local newspaper in high school.  Recieved $25 an article I believe.  Not a bad gig for a teenager.

8. Ciel Clark profile image73
    Ciel Clarkposted 5 years ago

I sold cartoon strips in 5th grade -- thank you Mr. BT for a great year.  He had our class create our own society (history, laws, money) and we lived in it for the half hour or so after lunch for a semester.  We could sell and buy things, but only things we made ourselves. 

It is true I was paid in "Bones"  (I didn't come up with the name, but I did design the money -- green triangles with the words written in bone shape... (dittoed not copied back then of course!  Ahh, purple ink.)

I still have some Bones all these years later.

working