jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What is the difference between Internet writing, magazine writing, writing a boo

1. NateB11 profile image94
    NateB11posted 5 years ago

What is the difference between Internet writing, magazine writing, writing a book, and literature?

In other words, What is the difference between web articles and other writing done on the Internet, articles in magazines, writing a book, and other traditional literature or kinds of writing? How does one go about writing in each medium? I think we can assume there is a different approach for each one.

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I've written 9 books, a number of printed articles, and about 75 hubs and other online articles.

The biggest difference is the nearly instant feedback I get when I write online. That makes motivation a lot easier.

I believe that the quality of what I write should be the same, wherever it gets published, but others may set lower standards for one medium than another.

Wherever we write, it is important to think about intended audience. Writing on the web, we may have to think about the effect of writing for unintended audiences, as well.

I'll be curious to see what others say - great question.

1. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 5 years agoin reply to this

All of that totally makes sense. It is interesting how everything on the Internet is quicker; publishing, feedback, etc. I would think the audience is different; certainly the Internet has a rather diverse audience in many respects, reached quickly.

3. fitmom profile image82
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Knowing your audience is important in any writing. It is especially important online since your audience can respond quite easily and all your visitors can also see their responses.

I think that any writing should be done with professionalism. I am quite surprised when I read other hubs at the multitude of hubs that are poor quality- short in length, appear to be rushed through, and grammatical errors. When I publish something, it is something that I have spent time on and that I feel is beneficial.

With any traditional type of publishing, editors and publishers make sure that the published work is at its best. So many of our youth spend so much time on the Internet and I fear that they will not easily come across quality literature. There is some quality writing online, but it is definitely the exception (unfortunately).

1. SidKemp profile image94
      SidKempposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate your point about putting good writing where young people can see it. I hadn't thought of that - and it motivates me to do more and do better!

2. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly what you mean about the quality of writing on the Internet. I feel that a person should have a good understanding of the language to communicate effectively, and grammatical errors cancel out that effectiveness.

working