What are your thoughts about the importance of writing in niche areas?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. midget38 profile image87
    midget38posted 11 years ago

What are your thoughts about the importance of writing in niche areas?

2. Dennis AuBuchon profile image62
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 11 years ago

Writing in niche areas shows your strength if you have the capacity to express your thoughts on the topic so others can understand your viewpoint.  Having a niche and sometimes individuals can have multiple niches with which they are familiar or have the expertise.  It defnes who you are as a person and as a writer.  Authors/writers are basically known for the kind of writing and topics on which they write.  It defines them and helps to create a folllowing of individuals who have an interest in the niche.

midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for coming by, Dennis! You have provided much insight on this, as I was contemplating on whether we should just confine ourselves to one niche area or if it is alright to have a few niches where one can express one's thoughts. I

3. Gamerelated profile image73
    Gamerelatedposted 11 years ago

Niche writing helps in building your brand and proving yourself as an expert.  It also gives you writing a sense of focus and cohesion.  Niche writing tends to improve return visits to your articles as people will come back to read more from you if know that you write about a particular topic that they like.  Niche writing can also help for SEO purposes.

Thanks, Gamerelated! I was actually considering if it is alright to have a few niche areas, as writers may have interests in more than one.

4. Lwelch profile image82
    Lwelchposted 11 years ago

It can give you a lot of easy hubs.  Also, if you know the area well you will write better hubs.  Choose a niche you like and that needs pages online.  If there is a topic you want to know about and can't find a great page for - write a hub.  It will get an audience as you will not be the only one looking for well written web pages on that topic.

A great piece of advice, Lweich!

5. profile image0
    thechroniclerposted 11 years ago

Picking a niche is important for building a steady following, for establishing yourself as someone with knowledge about and particular topic, and for keeping your writing mojo alive. A niche that has lasting interest for you can lead to a steady number of hub ideas, and it greatly reduces the chances of developing writers' block, at least for me. Creating hubs about a niche I like and that interests me is such a welcome break from writing for other sites where I do not have the freedom to pick my own topics; it feels like more fun than work.

Thechronicler, that's the great thing about HP...the flexibility. At least we get to pick our own topics and niches instead of having them defined for us! Thanks for the insight!

6. Jlbowden profile image84
    Jlbowdenposted 11 years ago

Writing in a variety of niche areas, depending on the topic involved can in itself be very important. Particularly so if an individual is searching for a solution to a common medical problem such as acne for example. Your expertise on acne, or skin problems for one and on related medical topics as a whole, could be of equal value and importance to an individual looking for this niche topic for example. 

However there are many other areas of interest, as well as ones of importance where an individual can excel and expound upon their own particular area of expertise.  Areas of interest besides medicine, can include gardening, landscaping, how-to, scientific, cooking, as well as medical topics that include disease and conditions. The list can be endless in turn. 

However being versed in a wide variety of niche areas can often have its advantages, as well as disadvantages,depending on the individual writer.  Some writers concentrate entirely on one niche, such as ghostwriting for example.

I agree with this valuable insight, Dennis. That expertise can draw people to our sites/hubs. An advantage of having a variety of niches is that it gives more flexibility in writing. A con is that some may lose interest if other niches are neglected.

7. stillwaters707 profile image61
    stillwaters707posted 11 years ago

In my case, it meets a specific need for a target audience, caretakers.

Thanks for coming by, still waters. Good writing in a niche area will help to grow that target audience.

8. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

Writing in a niche area can generate good traffic if you become an authoritative voice on the Internet for the niche topic, as gaining a good reputation can cause a lot of people to backlink to your articles and refer them to others and start following you. However, unless the niche topic something you know really well because it's a field you work in or is a hobby, then you have to make extra sure that you convey correct and defensible information.

It will certainly take a lot of effort to carve that niche! Thanks for coming by, Rock_nj!

9. BlissfulWriter profile image72
    BlissfulWriterposted 11 years ago

If you know about multiple subjects, I don't think it is necessary to stick to one niche in your writing.  Your writing can be as diverse as your interests.  I don't believe search engines will penalize too much about it.

You can see that I write about many different things.

Thanks Blissfulwriter! I can certainly see that!! Lovely and informative as well! Thanks for stopping by!

10. rcrumple profile image78
    rcrumpleposted 11 years ago

If I was writing recipes or how to's, I would say it's very important.  The two "how to's" I wrote have done well.  Yet, in creative writing, it has it's value, but it is also limiting.  A creative writer wants to be creative and constantly expand the boundaries.  I've tried multiple avenues while here, and comedy gets the greater results.  Or, I should say, got them.  My latest Halloween series is kicking the comedy's tail.  So, who knows?  Creative writers have creative readers, for the most part.  It's just the nature of the beast.  It also depends if you're writing strictly for money, or writing to please oneself.  My research papers were done in college.  Now, I'm having fun, and making some money, by being creative.

Way to go on that, Richard! I agree. If we are writing creatively, we want to stretch. For example, you cannot write just poems or comedy all the time. Like you've done, you have to go into horror, for instance. Lots to consider!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)