This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

What author or book had the most impact on your life and how?

1. lovebuglena profile image86
    lovebuglenaposted 5 years ago

What author or book  had the most impact on your life and how?

2. Efficient Admin profile image93
    Efficient Adminposted 5 years ago

I would have to say a book entitled "Your Finances in Changing Times" by Larry Burkett.  When I read about compounding interest that accumulates on credit cards, making it difficult to pay off if you keep using the card, was such a jaw dropping light bulb moment for me.  I was so stunned that I cut up my credit card and never used it again and it took me 5 years to pay it off.  Haven't had any credit card debt since then. The money I was paying to the credit card company went into a savings account to enable me to build an emergency fund.  So I paid myself instead of the bank.  When you have an adequate emergency fund saved up, you don't need to rack up credit card debt because you have the cash on hand. This is also what Larry Burkett explained.  It was awesome.

lovebuglenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmm....interesting answer.

3. Trish303 profile image73
    Trish303posted 5 years ago

The story of brie by red phoenix. let just say it open a whole new world of thought and fun to me.

4. profile image0
    huckelburyposted 5 years ago

So many books and authors, so little time. My first response was Emerson's essay on self-reliance. Recalling his observation that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds," I can only nod as the current election cycle nears its welcomed conclusion. Any essay by Bertrand Russell, any fiction by Cormac Mccarthy.

5. rauffray profile image60
    rauffrayposted 5 years ago

I really cannot say that one stands out.  That's probably because I read mostly fiction for enjoyment.  If I think further, I'd say probably the Bible.  I am not religious but that book gives one a lot to think about and it makes me wonder how religions can have "screwed up" the world so much (and sadly, continue to do so.

lovebuglenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wonder the same thing Regis... will there ever be complete peace in the world?

6. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 5 years ago

There's been a few. . . .

The Bible has certainly had the most impact on my life for it being the inspired work of God and my guide for daily living.

“Brainwashed” another, for it helping me to undo the negative images I've held about myself as a black person and understanding how society feeds those negative images to us. . . 

“The 48 Laws of Power” another, for it showing me how to toughen up and see that “good people will come to ruin by the great number of people in the world who are not good”. . .

and “Heaven is For Real” the other, for its great story and testimony by a four year old boy going to Heaven, seeing and being taught by Jesus, seeing his great grandfather, John the Baptist and Satan! And for the hope it gives for what believers can expect when we leave this Earth.

7. Beata Stasak profile image82
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

BUT WHAT ABOUT HIS MOTHER?
    Driving through the dark streets
    of my well known town
    walkers hurrying past
    they don't even see me
    moving
    going who knows where
    everything I know
    I am not going there...

Shadow of his mother