jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How do dyslexics remember passwords?

1. innerspin profile image92
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

How do dyslexics remember passwords?

This is a genuine question, not meant to be insulting. If someone has problems with letters and numbers, how do they manage passwords?

2. Rosana Modugno profile image83
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

I would assume that they would have to write it down somewhere, where no one else will see it.  That would be my guess.  Good question, though.  I've often wondered that too.

3. joanwz profile image74
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

For me, it's a matter of picking  a password that makes some sort of sense to me. I'm well aware of the fact that my brain pieces together information differently than most of the people I know, so my passwords won't make sense to them. But, when signing up for a new site or changing a password for security reasons, I sometimes have difficulty remembering the password(s) for awhile, until I've used them enough time. So, yes, I have a place where I write the passwords down. My husband knows where this is so that - God forbid - in case I should die, he can get into the accounts to shut them down or do whatever needs to be done.

innerspinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, joanwz, that's interesting. I knew one boy at school who couldn't copy words or numbers in sequence, so started wondering how people manage.

2. joanwz profile image74
      joanwzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's taken a lot of practice.

4. annart profile image87
    annartposted 5 years ago

When we teach a dyslexic to remember facts and figures, we use multi-sensory teaching (sound, visual, touch, movement, even taste!), so a password can be remembered by associating each letter or number with a colour, or a picture, or the person drawing rooms and placing each letter/number in an appropriate room (sometimes it's easier to visualise something in a place).
    We also use 'chunking'.  For example, a password could be A6342B12; break it up in 'chunks' such as 'A6, 34, 2B 12'  or 'A63, 42B, 12'.  In the second example the 63 would be better said as sixty-three, and the 42 as forty-two; this is easier to visualise in your head as it is said.  You can see numbers and lettes as a measurement, perhaps, or look at the relations of the numbers (6 is twice 3, 4 is twice 2).  A relationship like that might not be there but there is usually some link that can be made and therefore the memory can cope better with it.
    Any memory aid is always best devised (with help) by the dyslexic him/herself.
    Dyslexics are often very imaginative, so are able to come up with ingenious ways of coping.

innerspinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, thank you! I do think people learn in different ways, great to hear this approach.