jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What would you say is a good sign that someone is a writer?

1. LillyGrillzit profile image80
    LillyGrillzitposted 4 years ago

What would you say is a good sign that someone is a writer?

Today on Facebook a group (writers write) asked a similar question and I started to consider what qwerks I retain and my writer peers...What is a good indication someone is a writer?

2. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

Actually, I think one of the clearest indications of a CREATIVE writer is the use of metaphors. In addition to that, I'd say flexibility and fluidity of thought are clear signs that someone is or would be a great CREATIVE writer.
    I have a photographer friend who I KNOW would be a much better writer than I am because the metaphors come flowing out of her mouth and onto the keyboard effortlessly.  Her facebook posts accompanying her photos are brilliant. She is able to compare one thing with something on one would have thought of.
    Everyone who has language can "write". But when words come trippingly off the pen or tongue (like comics who do crowd work) that flexibility and fluidity of thought is a true indication "in my book" of writing ability. That being said, it's not to say (pardon that awkward phrase) that a writer can't imitate those abilities in his or her own writing.  I'm the slowest person in the world to come up with a metaphor, but every ONCE and a while I do and then I'm pleased.  I don't think we have to be gifted to be a good writer, just persistent and observant.

3. Georgie Lowery profile image96
    Georgie Loweryposted 4 years ago

Everyone I know who is a writer is also a voracious reader, but I don't know if that necessarily is true of all of us.

LillyGrillzitposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree that most writers love the world of books. Thank you

4. sallybea profile image98
    sallybeaposted 4 years ago

I think a gifted writer is someone who draws you in so that you don't want to leave the page until the last word has been read.

Writers that I follow are the ones who do this very thing. Thank you.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

Whether they're writing or speaking to someone, I think someone would make a good writer when I can see/hear they have an eye or ear for details. Instead of just relating that a friend was the crazy man at a party, they can tell you everything from the main action down to the faces or the sounds he made while doing it.

sheilamyers this is an excellent point. Writers are able to create the 3-D portion of our imaginations and bring them to life on the pages. Thank you.

working