Why do you write?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Why do you write?

Is writing your passion in life, or do you just write in an attempt to purely make money, or both?  Or is there another reason you write?

2. btrbell profile image87
    btrbellposted 11 years ago

I write because I am.

Definitely a passion! And clearly an expression. Writing defines me and helps me to define my life.

Faith Reaperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Randi, yes, I can see the passion in your writing.

3. wetnosedogs profile image60
    wetnosedogsposted 11 years ago

I love to write. Oh, I definitely want to earn money writing, no doubt about that. I would love to be able to quit my day job and earn money writing. Long road, but I am having fun on hubpages and all.

Hi wetnosedogs, thanks for answering once again!  I know you love to write, and  I, too, would love to be able to write and earn money one day, writing a novel or whatever.  Thanks again.

4. MartieCoetser profile image69
    MartieCoetserposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7594788_f260.jpg

Hi Faith, I am a passionate, compulsive-obsessive writer. So I write because I write because I write. Interaction between eyes, fingers (typing) and brain satisfy (sooth) some of my primordial needs. I remind myself of cows - ruminating life in order to digest it. I also LOVE words, and love to pen down and share my knowledge, thoughts and ideas. I cannot sing, or paint, but I can write. So writing also allow me to be creative. I honestly believe that I can express myself the best in writing, while verbally I might miss the target because of distraction. I don't think 'money' when I write, but I do hope  to express myself properly and to transfer my thoughts/ideas/messages successfully. Of course, money is always welcome, though very scarce in the world of writers. Writers normally find themselves in a desert with scattered oases. Why do you write?

I've tested the upload of a photo.... smile

Wow, Martie, you are very passionate no doubt about that, and thank you so much for your fascinating answer here, which has provided a lot of insight into our South African amazing writer (YOU)! Will write my answer above - no room left here.

2. MartieCoetser profile image69
      MartieCoetserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

WoW, what a surprise to see my 'out-of-the-heart' answer now titled as the 'Best Answer'. Really, Faith, I am overwhelmed! Thank you!

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

"Out-of-the-heart" answers are always best dearest Martie.  I have never seen flowers added to a question - you are amazing, creative, passionate and clever no doubt!

4. marcoujor profile image74
      marcoujorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No one summarized this quite like you, Martie and Faith, you know how to pick a winner because you are one yourself!  Love you both, Maria

5. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Maria, thanks so much, you winner you!  This is a question where there are no wrong answers.  Thanks to all who answered.

5. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

I forgot to mention why I love to write, as our lovely Martie asked of me.  I love to write about my true life experiences, as I am a non-fiction writer for the most part, although I do have a great imagination and could write fiction.  However, I love to share my experiences, as it may be of use to at least one person on this earth, and if that is the case, then my writing has served its purpose, in my eyes. Even in my poetry, some may think it is fiction, but it is actually based on real life events.  My desire is to convey (whether during trials or good times), the hope I have in each new day and to persevere through whatever this sometimes brutal life can throw at us, and as I have experienced many times in this lifetime, it can throw a lot at us that we may have never have seen coming.   If we are still here, then we must move on and not look behind, although learning much from past experiences and to share those with others.  Thanks for asking, Martie.

Aw Martie, such a lovely bouquet of sweet flowers you have added here, how endearing!

2. MartieCoetser profile image69
      MartieCoetserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lovely answer, Faith, and if I haven't mentioned it, this is also one of the reasons why I am writing the tips of my fingers flat smile Enjoy! (The flowers are for you - first time I saw we may post pictures.)

3. btrbell profile image87
      btrbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just saw this now. Thank you for sharing this. You are indeed an inspired writer!

4. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Randi, thanks so much, and all the answers are great as they are unique to each person.  And thank you too, Martie, I just love the flowers!

6. Mrs Jil Manning profile image84
    Mrs Jil Manningposted 11 years ago

I write as part of my experience of life.  I live it, love it and write about it.  Some people photograph it, or draw their experience, but I have to get it down in words.  Reading back over my work helps me to understand myself and my journey.

Thanks so much Mrs Jil Manning, very interesting indeed!

7. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
    Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years ago

I wrote at first because I found that I enjoyed it.  I still write for that reason.  But now I also find that I have to write, that it has become an addiction of sorts, and if I don't write I feel terrible.  When I can't find the time to write I become easily irritated, anxious and have trouble sleeping.  I still write because I want to and love to, but now I also write because I need to. 

I realised the other day that the piece I'm working on is essential to my mental well-being, and that I don't actually care whether or not it's published.  I'm writing it totally for me.  It's the first time I've approached a piece in this frame of mind, and I must say that the effect is that this is the best work I have ever produced!

Hi Lady Wordsmith,  yes, writing is very therapeutic no doubt about that . . . so please write, write, write and never stop!  Thanks for sharing.

8. Quirinus profile image60
    Quirinusposted 11 years ago

Writing seems to be a passion for me. I then took it along on what I consider a spiritual journey, for taking notes of lessons being learned, to share with others who may care to read.

Hi Quirinus,

Yes, I understand completely dear.  Thanks for sharing.

9. Marcus99 profile image57
    Marcus99posted 11 years ago

I used to be here on HubPages as a writer, writing strictly for the love of writing. I then visited some other Hubbers' sites and saw that they wrote to make money. Good for them, good for me. We all write for different reasons, I guess...

Hi Marcus99,  yes, it is all good either way.  Thanks for answering!

10. Diana Lee profile image75
    Diana Leeposted 11 years ago

I have always found my way to express who I am much easier in print than by saying it out loud. I tend to get tongue tied or stutter sometimes. I can usually state clearly what I want said without appearing unsure of myself if I write it down.

Hi Diana Lee, oh, wow, how interesting, as I can relate to that very much!  Thanks for much.

11. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I like to write because it gives me a chance to put my views, thoughts, observations on paper. Others may read and agree or disagree, but at least I have presented my views.
    As a reporter I wrote 10s of thousands of news stories, columns and editorials. In my PR life, I wrote less but did a lot of research and responding to questions.
    I have ideas. I have a couple of books in the back cobwebs of my brain. I do not know if they will ever be put on paper, but parts of them will be written.

Hi Larry,  how very interesting Larry.  I knew of your background as a reporter, and I pray that you do write those books one day dear one.

12. Ushnav profile image61
    Ushnavposted 11 years ago

My reason is simple. Writing gives me a high like nothing can. I write to express my opinion through words and if by doing so, I can influence someone or make some people think? Well and good!

Hi Ushnav,  Yes, writing is exhilarating for sure!  To write and cause that thought-provoking process to begin is just the best.  Thanks for answering.

13. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I write what I am passion about. Knowing what I want to write on topics that I am familiar with. I write and share my knowledge. Of course it will be great to be interactive from others that know the topic and discuss. That is what I want to do when I write on the topic.

Hi edhan, that seems to be the consensus about being passionate.  It is always best to write about what you know no doubt too!  Thanks so much.

14. cre8ivOne profile image68
    cre8ivOneposted 11 years ago

When I started writing, making money from it was never my intention.  I have been writing poetry since middle school and the passion I had for it then is the same passion I still have for it today. 

Someone had told me that publishing a book of poems would not make me much money, (still don't know the professional answer to this question) and so I never really looked at it like a  money making device but rather as an artistic expression and I often find my short stories and poems help me work through my feelings and emotions.

I joined Hub Pages for much the same reason, although I would not turn away any money I could make, it is not my purpose.

Hi cre8ivOne, love your hub name!  Thanks for sharing why you write.  Being passionate about writing seems to be in the majority, as far as reasons to write.

15. Veroniquebee profile image65
    Veroniquebeeposted 11 years ago

I write because I couldn't "not write". Uhm. That seriously made more sense to me before I typed it O_o

Veroniquebee, Oh, no, it makes perfect sense to me!!!  I understand what you are saying dear.

2. Mrs Jil Manning profile image84
      Mrs Jil Manningposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yep, I get exactly what you mean!

16. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

I write because my mind gets cluttered. Writing helps clear my mind and organize my thoughts

Hi Deepes Mind,  it is always good to write things out and it does help in de-cluttering one's thoughts for sure.  I appreciate you answering here.

17. cjpooja26 profile image63
    cjpooja26posted 11 years ago

I write because I like writing and it relieves stress and I used to write diary every day so for me writing is like sharing my life.

Hi cjpooja, thanks for sharing with us why you write! It really does help to relieve stress.

18. gags3480 profile image59
    gags3480posted 11 years ago

I initially joined just bcoz of the money factor but it also helps me a lot in increasing my basic knowledge about various things.

Hi gags3489, thanks for answering!  It does me as well.

19. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 11 years ago

I write because I have the penchant to do so. Not many of my peers can have a command of language like me, frankly speaking. I belong to that special breed of people who loves language more than mathematics and science (but I love mathematics too paradoxically). While my friends excel in science, I excel in English and my mother tongue. So I believe that my talent for writing is there, and I write so that my talent will not be frittered away.

Hi phillippeengel,  thanks so much for the interesting answer!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)