Would you still want to become a writer if everyone told you to do something els

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

Would you still want to become a writer if everyone told you to do something else?

Imagine everyone being against you as wanting to be a writer. Would you still pursue it?

2. Maxine Pase profile image61
    Maxine Paseposted 9 years ago

Writing is my passion. In truth, I have many other passions, but this the passion I have had the longest. I feel most like "me" when I am writing. Through writing, I am able to be my true, genuine self.

As someone who struggles with verbally speaking my mind, writing gives me the opportunity to develop my ideas and give myself a voice.

If people told me that I shouldn't be a writer and should do something else, then they are essentially telling me to hide my true self.

These are not people I need in my life.

3. Ben716 profile image89
    Ben716posted 9 years ago

I faced opposition from my family members who told me writing was useless because I would earn peanuts. I was referred to other jobs such as teaching by the concerned parties which I happily took because I have the gift of teaching, but still I would go on writing. I am not a public person, not outgoing and indoor person and expressing well verbally isn't my strong point.

I still kept writing. In fact, I did a course in creative writing. No matter what, writing will always remain in me, come rain come sunshine

4. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

actually, baking cookies and cakes is my passion, writing the my second passion. I would want to focus on writing but with household chores and kids homework, it is hard to focus with limited time

5. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

Very good question , I think just like any other creative work , like painting a picture
    we try our hands to see can we do it,  I realized my limitetation , as I jumped in the water , I learned that my grammar needed attention  more then anything else, And good writers will easily see my flaws because they are professional at there work.
    I believe some of the greatest writers had a beginning , just like singers and actors,  I believe it all up to you to carry out your goal and passion , for you can not live for others
    but you live with yourself everyday. Who knows you better then you.

6. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 9 years ago

I have always wanted to be a writer and have always had the backing of my family and friends. I am a writer. There is no 'wanting' about it. I have been published in Australia, the U.K., Russia and the USA. If everyone was against me being a writer then everyone would be against me period. I would still write because that is what I do. I would not be a very happy writer but I would still be me.

7. lawdoctorlee profile image82
    lawdoctorleeposted 9 years ago

Interesting question, Chris!  Substitute the word "writer" for any other type of work and, for me, the short answer would still be "yes."

No doubt becoming a professional writer is not for everyone.  It takes a tremendous amount of discipline, stamina, and practice to become a good writer.  Like many of the creative arts, writing is subject to significant criticism; however, it is imperative to not take the criticism as a personal attack.  Instead, it should be received as an opportunity for growth and development as a writer.  Therefore, if there are folks who are critical of your interest in becoming a writer, it may be worth taking the time to find out why they are challenging your decision.  For example, maybe the challenge is that financial success may be hard to come by as a writer.  It's a reasonable criticism; so, maybe you don't quit your day job so you can pay your bills and eat but you still write.  Still, there may be others who have no reasonable criticism to articulate; I call them the "naysayers."  Unfortunately, there are people who are unhappy with their own lives and express jealousy by discouraging others from dreaming big.  Ignore them.

No one can dictate the course of your life nor should you give them permission to do so.  Everyone should follow their passion and cultivate their talents.  After all, it's your life.  Limit the discouragers in your life and be true to who you are; then you will find more peace, happiness, and success in your life.  Embrace your talent, skills, and abilities as a demonstration to the world of the beautiful individual that you are.

8. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Life is a (personal) journey!
    Anyone who attempts to live their life on other people's terms will never know what "real happiness" feels like.
    Avoid the "Dream Killers" and ignore the "naysayers".
    Whatever one's dream or goal is it's important to associate with those who are on the road as yourself or better yet have already "arrived".
    It's better to have tried and failed than to be left wondering...
    Most people die with a box filled with regrets of things they didn't attempt. As the old adage goes: "Life is not a dress rehearsal"
    If someone can't help you or tell you how to accomplish your goal it's not worth paying close attention to what they have to say.
    Rarely is there a situation where someone with a (bold dream) is encouraged by (all) their family and friends. They can't "imagine" knowing someone that accomplished such a dream.
    They want to keep things the way they are.
    The world may not owe you anything but you owe yourself the world!

9. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

I'm going to say yes. A lot of writers deal with this in some form or another. It isn't always direct, as in someone says 'you shouldn't be a writer'. Rather, it's subtle things like a brother saying you should get a technical degree because there are lots of jobs out there in that field. In their minds, they're just trying to help, but in your mind it almost sounds like they're saying 'since this writing thing isn't going to work, you should get a real job'.

As writer's we know how hard it is to make a living with this field, so we don't need constant reminders of it. Anything that they can say, we've already considered, and we've still chosen the path we're on. So, the passion for the craft is what sustains us, and no amount of naysayers will change it.

10. Dreamlin profile image54
    Dreamlinposted 9 years ago

Writing is something that truly makes me happy. I did follow other People's advice when I was younger, but after all I have been thru in life, I realize - life is too short to be wasted. You never know what will happen tomorrow or the next minute. So make every second count, follow your dream.

11. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Chris, if after reading all my work they said that it was no good and I should give up and try something else, maybe I would have to consider it. Oh I'd probably still write but go into my shell and only write for myself..too embarrassed to show it to others. If however I was told to do something else because writing was too hard to make a career and serious money out of, I'd say "thanks for the advice but writing is my passion and I will continue to do it."
    If it's your passion, never give it up.

12. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 9 years ago

I am going to say yes. I am literal at times, so I am writing, therefore I am a writer. I lean toward the question meaning earning a living writing or penning a best selling novel like J. K. Rowling. That said I tend to listen to those close because they usually have best intentions and just may be more objective with present reality. However, that is me and the world I live within.

13. sky--vic profile image60
    sky--vicposted 9 years ago

Since the first day I picked up a pencil, I have fought my love for writing. It just didn't seem to fit my own image of myself. But I continued, and eventually I started letting those close to me read my works. To my surprise, THEY LOVED IT! Of course, it was family and friends and they were supporting me. When I recently discovered HubPages, I gained an outpouring of support from people I don't even know. I am currently teaching at day care, and I have plans to be a pre-school teacher. Writing is my muse. I have been blessed with support, so I don't know what I would do without it. However, I can say that the only person against me, was ME. Once I had overcome my only "hater," I became unstoppable!

14. Emmyboy profile image80
    Emmyboyposted 9 years ago

In a word, YES!

Of course, that would be the more reason why I would want to,if not for anything but just to prove them wrong.

It's funny, Most times people think they can always tell us how to run our lives better.

If you can write, write!

You don't need anyone's approval.

It's as simple as that.

15. alancaster149 profile image76
    alancaster149posted 9 years ago

I'd have had to have proof to convince myself of being able to make it as a writer. I only started writing seriously when I was over 60, having over 40 years of being given the run-about by aggressive or over-ambitious or ego-tripping bosses. Even then that was only because I'd bought a lap-top to do my writing on, otherwise I still wouldn't have bothered.
    Without a couple of private workplace pensions and job-seeker's allowance I wouldn't have taken early retirement to pursue my writing, and I have yet to see a healthy turnover.
    The hard economic realities are that we have bills to pay, clothing to buy and food to put in our stomachs. If that means putting up with fools, it'll have to be. Of the writers who set out on the rocky road to writing fame, maybe a small percentage actually make it.

16. reinhardBeck profile image65
    reinhardBeckposted 9 years ago

It depends on;
    1) Why they are against you becoming a writer and
    2) Why you want to write.

The good thing about writing is that you don't have to stop doing other things. It's not an "either or or" scenario.  Go to work, raise a family go out with your mates but you'll still find the time to write.  If you get published then great. And if you happen to make any money out of it even better. But don't count on it.
    I write because I enjoy it.  It allows me to "talk" even if it's only to myself.  For me spending a few hours after work or on the w/end on front of my typewriter makes me happy. And finally if people don't want you to write - don't let on that's what you are doing! No one in my family knows I write.

17. daydreamer13 profile image60
    daydreamer13posted 9 years ago

I've faced HUGE amounts of opposition for writing. But, for me to not write would be like spending the rest of my life breathing through a straw. I might survive, but I would never truly live.

18. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

So many great answers about this. I see majority would continue and not let it stop them but it can affect them. If those closest to you are questioning it then it's tough ignoring them. The biggest burden is financially as some stated because that's all others think about. I don't think people around you see writing as a lucrative way to live so they dismiss it. For me I love doing it because it's a passion of mine and always was, but I know passion doesn't keep a roof over your head. It was a real pleasure reading others insights on the matter. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

19. colleen cunning profile image61
    colleen cunningposted 9 years ago

Absolutely! Writing is an outlet for me, a way to express what I am feeling at any given moment. For me it is a peaceful, meditative process. No matter what I am going through in my life, when I sit down to write, and I let the feelings and emotions my words invoke flow through me, I feel more like myself than at any other time.

No one should ever force you away from doing something you enjoy, unless it is something that is harmful to yourself or others. As long as you know that making a living at writing can be very difficult, and you have taken steps to ensure that you will be able to have a productive life, then there is no reason in the world why you cannot continue writing. I have several friends who were told over and over again that they would never be able to make a living as writers. Well, one of them still teaches and writes/self publishes her novels in her spare time, the other one is able to stay at home and pursue her writing career without having to worry about needing an outside job. She is currently working on her fourth novel in a series, and the money she makes is hers to do with as she chooses. The point is, they didn't give up when others told them they couldn't do it, and neither should anyone. No one has the right to crush another person's dreams and hopes.

20. profile image0
    Sherry Thornburgposted 9 years ago

I have loved writing all my life, but didn't get to study and do much of it until recently, at 50. Now I know all those things people said made me weird and slightly insane were just a pent up writer trying to find freedom. 

Do you have ideas and deep discussions in your head about subjects?
    Do you review things you have done and recreate the event for better effect?
    Do you invent people and give them a life in your head?
    Do you create new adventures for your favorite TV characters?
    Do you sometimes wonder what other people spend time thinking about if they aren't building stories in their heads the way you do?

If you do you are a writer and should get to the keyboard or paper and pen.  Too much of that stuff running around in your head and not written down will get distracting after a while and cause you problems.

21. profile image0
    Saire Schwartzposted 9 years ago

I think that if you do not have your heart in writing than you should probably not do it. Great writing isn't really something that can be passed down from person to person but, rather, it's something created in your heart and soul. I would still want to be a writer even if people told me to do something else simply to prove them wrong.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)