jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How many times does it take until you finally realize that there really is no wo

1. Marcus99 profile image61
    Marcus99posted 5 years ago

How many times does it take until you finally realize that there really is no word: irregardless?

Nuuf said.

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I learned that a long time ago when my editor was using the word and we questioned the meaning and discovered there is no such word. Using the "word" irregardless is equivalent to saying that despite the circumstances, there is no reason for the action, error, etc.. However, you hear it all the time.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

Regardless of what you say, people will continue to use the word, irregardless.  It is a habit word, picked up and hard to jettison.  Bit like some of our 'office phraseology' such as "Going forward" in lieu of "advancing."  "At the end of the day," and "Having said that," because "But" and even "However," have become no-nos.    However, the worst habit of all, and it's become widespread all over the English-speaking world, is the word "Basically," when 99 times out of a hunded it isn't necessary for inclusion to make a sentence's meaning clear.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I will not disagree with you but sometimes such words provides a smoother transition or flow. In journalism school I was taught that "due to" was two wasted words--i.e. "weather conditions forced ... instead of "due to weather conditions the event...

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I've know that for a very long time and have never used it. I do have an online friend that uses it all the time and I cringe each time - but she is a sensitive sort and pointing it out to her would cause a rift, I'm sure.

5. Stina Caxe profile image87
    Stina Caxeposted 5 years ago

I know someone who used to complain about people using that as a word all the time.  I think sometimes people just say things without realizing how little sense they make.  It's like people who use the expression "I could care less."  If they took time to think about it, perhaps they would see they are saying the opposite of what they mean and it's really "I couldn't care less!"

6. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

An acquaintance of mine insists that the construction is valid and cannot be convinced otherwise.  So I guess in her case it would take infinitely many times.

working