Is it legal or ethical to murder a fictional character?

1. Andy McGuire profile image80
    Andy McGuireposted 4 years ago

Is it legal or ethical to murder a fictional character?

I wrote a children's book about a singing chimpanzee and now he lives in my head and won't stop singing this damn repetitive song over and over! He's doing it just to mess with me, I know it. If I enter my own mind, via a dream portal I invented, and stab him in the face repeatedly will I go to prison?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7618885_f260.jpg

2. jlpark profile image85
    jlparkposted 4 years ago

Given it's your own mind, unless there is a prison in there too, I don't think so.

You may, however, be disallowed from owning animals due to maltreatment - but that is, also, only if there is an RSPCA in your mind as well.

Hell, I think people would be more impressed with the dream portal, to be quite honest. Though, thinking about - a singing chimp, particularly one who can sing, could be quite a catch for the entertainment world!.

You should really read up the laws of the world in your mind, and see what they think.  The other thing is, would you be killing the next biggest thing? You kill him, and you'll never know!

The dilemmas!

3. Theophanes profile image98
    Theophanesposted 4 years ago

It is an unalienable right we have as fictional authors to ruthlessly slaughter whatever creation of ours we so feel like. Just don't kill other people's creations... might get yourself mired in copyright Hell if you decide to top off Micky Mouse. Just saying.

working