What is your biggest weakness and greatest strength as a writer?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Seeker7 profile image93
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

What is your biggest weakness and greatest strength as a writer?

My biggest weakness is spelling and word transferring - I do have to be careful! For example with word transferring, if I'm typing too fast I often type 'there' instead of 'their' and so on. My biggest strength I guess is that I love to write and so hopefully this enthusiasm comes through in my hubs!

Do you have a main weakness and a main strength as a writer?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Hi Seeker,
           I must agree, I think my biggest weakness is definitely punctuation and also grammar at times. As far as my strengths, I do not see any. As I am my worst critic, I always think things I write can be better.

Seeker7posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've read one of your hubs just now and you have quite a few strengths + you make them very interesting!

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much Seeker!

3. Dee aka Nonna profile image79
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 5 years ago

What a good question.  One that is making me think..... I agree with what has been mentioned.  I know I suffer with these as weaknesses.  I also doubt myself, my message, my ability, and I often take on way too much.  My biggest strength is my absolute love for the craft knowing that words have power and being able to put that power on paper if for no one other than myself.  I often think that if I reach just one other person all is right with the world.

Thank Seeker7 for asking this question.  I am reading this in the AM...so it is giving me a great start to my day.

Thanks for a lovely response and being so honest. I think as writers - whether it's fiction or non-fiction we are all too hard on ourselves. I think though that, like yourself, when we have a love of writing this will come through in our words.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Strength, I adore characters and can make an interesting story. However, my weaknesses include writers block, getting in the mood for writing, lack of planning, and my phobia of finishing a story.

I know what you mean about getting in the mood for writing - somedays I really have to make myself sit down and write, even if it's just a load of crap!

5. KT Banks profile image59
    KT Banksposted 5 years ago

I'm a much better story teller, than I am a writer.  I wish I could just write the story and have someone else clean it up, kind of like the already famous writers do, lol.

I have also found something that surprises me. I am a better writer when I'm not so happy with my life. When things are going well, I can't seem to find the time to write as much.

1. jandee profile image66
      jandeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow ! You are lucky,the writing is zilch,the story is the  thing ! I think,anyway..

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

My strength (in my own mind anyway) is descriptive passages. I love writing them, my weakness, however, is dialogue. I absolutely fail at writing believably dialogue which is huge when you want to write fiction.

And my biggest weakness of all is discipline!

7. M. T. Dremer profile image93
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

I think my biggest strength is also my biggest weakness, and that is my editing. I'm so incredibly hard on myself that I almost always produce a polished product. However, it takes me so long to get to that polished product that I feel like I've wasted valuable time I could have been doing something else. Case and point; I spent eight years writing and revising a fantasy novel. Only after I got to the part where I could submit it to the publishing industry did I realize that a well edited manuscript isn't a guarantee of success. And now I'm terrified to edit a new project because I don't want it to take eight years again. I edit absolutely everything I write, including things as trivial as facebook status updates or text messages. I think I might have OCD.

Yes, I think we can all get caught up with overdoing it on the editing side and it takes so much of the enjoyement out of writing. But do you think your exessive editing is a sign of lack of confidence with you?

2. jandee profile image66
      jandeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You also have a sense of humour.......

3. profile image0
      KEPitzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Seeker7, that's my issue. I edit to excess and can't seem to get anything solid written down because I'm always trying to... oh hell... I don't even know what I'm trying to do, but whatever it is, it just never seems good enough.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image93
      M. T. Dremerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely; I do lack confidence. And I also have an irrational fear of being misinterpreted. As if, not knowing which direction the character is looking will somehow ruin the book. Sometimes I like my writing, but I usually revert when I reread it.

8. junkseller profile image83
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

My biggest strength is coming up ideas. I've got enough ideas jotted down to keep me busy for a hundred years I think.

My weakness is in finishing a product. I'm great at thumping out rough drafts but I have trouble finishing anything. I get obsessive about every little word, detail, phrase, etc. I think I have about 20 half-finished hubs collecting dust in my queue, for example. What's frustrating is that the closer I theoretically get to the end, the farther away I always feel from it. Like a vertigo dolly zoom.

Well, I'm glad there's someone else like me. I start off hubs really buzzed up and - like yourself - get halfway through and I lose all focus. So yes, I also have loads of hubs started but yet to finish.

9. Diana Lee profile image82
    Diana Leeposted 5 years ago

My weakness is I have to be in a certain mood to write anything worth reading.  My strong points come from being a life long dreamer with fantasies and a big imagination. I seldom run out of story ideas, but I have to be tuned in on how I wish to present them.

I agree, the mood can be a disatrous thing for writers and also burn out!

10. profile image0
    KEPitzposted 5 years ago

Greatest strength: I have a story to be told, I have the vision in my head. I have something unique to share.
    Greatest weakness: I second guess myself and self-edit so much that I can't seem to ever get anything written down! It's a weird kind of writer's block or something. Frustrating...

Yes, I've noticed quite a few of you guys who write fiction tend to be very hard on yourselves - I write non-fiction and for me this is much, much easier than fiction.

11. Faith A Mullen profile image83
    Faith A Mullenposted 5 years ago

My greatest weakness in writing is my speed, which is slow. I am working on writing faster, but I tend to over think and over edit while writing first drafts.

My greatest strength is probably my love of writing, which keeps me working harder to improve.

I'm also a slow writer so and have worked quite hard to continue to speed up - sometimes it works other times I seem to go back to slow mode.

12. ytsenoh profile image83
    ytsenohposted 5 years ago

Good question.  My main weakness as a writer is writing fiction unless it is imposed in poetry.  My main strengths evolve around non-fiction and research and time management with my writing.  Writing is such a passion for me that I don't allow myself to procrastinate on researching any topic, especially the book I've been focused on developing.  My weakness, if it is a weakness, is being a perfectionist; however, because I'm a perfectionist, I'm strong in edits and proofreading, but the latter I use routinely in the law firm I am employed.

I would agree and say that being a perfectionist isn't a weakness at all and obviously helps you to develop and produce quality work.

13. Lisa Wilton profile image82
    Lisa Wiltonposted 5 years ago

My biggest weakness is my inability to use inventive descriptive prose. I always feel that I am being too forced or pretentious when I try to describe scenes in that way. My biggest strength is (apparently) my ability to create worlds and characters that are interesting. I just need to use more interesting metaphors!

14. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

My biggest weakness is that I am a lousy speller.

My strongest point is my speed. Once i have the basic idea in mind, it does not take me long to write a hub, a letter, news release, position paper, etc.

I once had a case where five people attended a meeting with a state official and came back to the office to write a letter to restate the agreements that had been reached. They could not get past, "Dear Mr. XXXX. I was asked to come in. They explain to me the decisions that were reached. I produced the letter in less than 15 minutes. All five were from out of town. They were able to get earlier flights and avoid staying in hotels over night. Collectively I saved those companies thousands of dollars. on meals, hotel nights, rental cars, etc. They were all flying Southwestern out of New Orleans, which has hourly flights and no penaltiy for changing tickets.

15. AMAZING THINKER profile image61
    AMAZING THINKERposted 5 years ago

Strengths? let me see...
    I am awesome, I have brain, I have hands, I can write..lol..I wouldn't be a writer if I couldn't , common sense, great thoughts etc etc.
    Weaknesses?
    Its really hard to understand me, you have to be like very very smart OR a dummy and I don't know, I'll let you know when I find them.
    Good question by the way, keep up the good work...

16. m abdullah javed profile image76
    m abdullah javedposted 4 years ago

Biggest weakness selection of topic and greatest strength, can write very fast, its God's grace.

17. Niko Linni profile image84
    Niko Linniposted 3 years ago

For me it's starting and getting myself to keep going. But once I do I can usually just keep it going. Unfortunately real life loves to knock me off my grove. My other weakness is just starting the actual piece. Sometimes it's difficult to think of how to open things.

18. unvrso profile image92
    unvrsoposted 3 years ago

weaknesses;

Too many interest besides writing which may interfere when wanting to write

lack of imagination and concentration

strenghts;

Lots of personal experiences and if possible travel

19. Bills Place profile image89
    Bills Placeposted 2 years ago

For me, I think my biggest weakness would be time management. I want to be able to write more, for different sources, but between running my business, family time and a few hours of sleep I lack the time to do anything with my ideas.

My biggest strength, I think is self-motivation. Without being self-motivated I probably wouldn't be able to get half the stuff I do done in a day.

20. stas karimov profile image61
    stas karimovposted 24 months ago

My greatest strength as a writer - I have written two books "Why all the people suffer" and "How to achieve a life without problems."
    My biggest weakness is the Moscow publishing house refused to publish my books. I came to America. And I can not write an article on this website. I do not understand how to write title for an article! This site is too complicated for foreigners.

21. Larry Fish profile image64
    Larry Fishposted 12 months ago

My biggest weakness is that I often let my mind wander to far away from what I am writing about. That is good when I am writing one of my fiction novels, but in writing an article I often have to go back and bring my thoughts back to reality. I often have that problem of switching 'there' and 'their', I have to be very careful about that. When I write my novels on MS Word I use the program, Grammarly, which has been a great asset in finding my mistakes.

22. profile image59
    emma78posted 9 months ago

I sometimes think I know what a word means but I really don't and I use the word incorrectly. I also get similar words mixed up.

23. celeste inscribed profile image95
    celeste inscribedposted 7 months ago

Hi, I think for me it is that the story in my head runs faster than my fingers can type and then I get confused and overwhelmed. So that is definitely my weakness. Another is that I get too excited about a new story and forget details. I write fantasy fiction novels and I tend to forget what I wrote about a week ago. So, now I try to slow down and plan a little. I take notes as I write as well. I suppose that my strength would be my willingness to acknowledge my weakness and learn from it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)