jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

Do my fellow writers sometimes find yourself reading more than writing and vise

1. wildove5 profile image74
    wildove5posted 5 years ago

Do my fellow writers sometimes find yourself reading more than writing and vise versa?

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image80
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 5 years ago

It's so funny you ask, yes! I have about a half dozen partially started hubs along with pages of "things I'd like to write about" jotted down and my mind is constantly thinking about "my hubs". Then I get on here and I am reading others' hubs, reading questions, reading comments, etc. I'll spend the majority of my day on HP and at the end of the day ask "What the heck did I do today?" I wonder if I don't always use my time appropriately on HP. It's easy to get sucked in and lost.

3. wildove5 profile image74
    wildove5posted 5 years ago

I find myself doing the same thing, I have every intention of writing then I get distracted with reading and commenting.  I guess that just means we are in good company, there are so many good writers here that not only do I enjoy reading their hubs, they inspire me to write more.  Thanks for answering!

1. Cantuhearmescream profile image80
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well when I went to answer the question my Hub Number was 91, after pushing submit it was 90. Maybe there is something to be said about producing more rather than contributing. You're right though, great people and great stories!

4. thost profile image61
    thostposted 5 years ago

Yes, I tend to read more than write. I also have many Hubs half written. It's a side effect that some writers must deal with. I would welcome any suggestions that address this problem.

5. kj force profile image71
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

What a great question...and yes the answer is I do both...some nights I do nothing but read..then some nights I do nothing but write..however..when I am not at my desk reading or writing... I am writing in my journal..you would be amazed at how many times when I am out grocery shopping/carpooling G-C to activites/awaiting appointments..etc..I see/hear/or an idea pops into my head..I rush to my journal and pen starts to smoke...I guess that is what makes us tick...
    " passion for the right to write "....

6. joanwz profile image73
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Actually I have found myself doing more writing than reading lately. In fact, it had gotten to the point where I felt I was on the verge of burning out. Last week I had the opportunity to take a week's "vacation" in which I wrote next to nothing but did a lot of reading. It was nice for a change and has gotten me back into the mood to write again.

7. wayne barrett profile image75
    wayne barrettposted 5 years ago

Well, let me see...I'm currently working on a novel, an autobiography, a short story, my journal, and an article for hubpages. In the mean time I am reading 4 different books. I usually just go with whatever mood strikes me!

1. Cantuhearmescream profile image80
      Cantuhearmescreamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So what you're really saying is you have don't have much going on? Just kidding. You must be very ambitious!

8. Healthy Mike profile image59
    Healthy Mikeposted 5 years ago

Yes, i actually find myself doing more reading than writing. It is okay because a good writer should know more so that you have enough material to write about. i can't imagine doing writing all through and having nothing left to say after say, a coupe of hours.

9. Claire Mason profile image59
    Claire Masonposted 5 years ago

I tend to swing between writing more and then reading more. I find it hard to balance the two sometimes!

10. India Stone profile image60
    India Stoneposted 5 years ago

I find myself reading more than I do writing. I need to find the perfect balance and then maybe I'd be more confident in my writing.

11. Matt Marvin James profile image72
    Matt Marvin Jamesposted 5 years ago

To be honest, I rarely read. Last thing truly read was a Harry Potter book. I don't believe textbooks or internet articles count.
    When I'm asked if I read, first thing that comes to my mind is what was the last literary piece of art that I read, and I can not say. Sad really, I hope to read more, but I rarely have enough time to finish a story based novel, it sucks. I'm to read the Hunger Games soon.

I spend more time trying to flesh out my own ideas. For me however, its distracting to have another author voice in my head.