jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Did someone in your life say you had good writing skills and encouraged you to w

1. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

Did someone in your life say you had good writing skills and encouraged you to write?  Tell about it

2. LupitaRonquillo profile image78
    LupitaRonquilloposted 5 years ago

Most of my college professors complimented my writing. I actually enjoyed writing research papers which was good considering I had to write quite a few of them... for Marketing, Management, Economics, Business, Science, Dance, and English... all of them coming back with an A. Until one of my marketing instructor's actually told me I had a talent, I never thought about writing as a I do now!

3. Queen of Cups profile image60
    Queen of Cupsposted 5 years ago

Yes actually, teachers through high school would do so when I turned in cultural essays, poems, or creative writing assignments. I'd always come back with a perfect score and though I am quite the harsh critic to myself I was proud to know that someone saw and appreciated my work and acknowledged it for the effort I'd put.
    Though I find distaste for my "crappy writing" sometimes, I usually very much like the work I put out simply because I know that with each word I'd given it a meaning and painted something more and unfathomable but to eyes that could lay upon them.

4. lisasuniquevoice profile image76
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7798482_f260.jpg

brake12,
    My professor and advisor in college told me I was a good writer, and he reinforced this every time he gave me a four point on my writing assignments. It really helps to have someone in your corner when you're starting out.
    Lisa

5. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

There is one bit of encouragement that I will never forget. I was in high school and we were given a homework assignment to write a pro or con argument for why students should be required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in school. I was assigned the con position, and when I got home I quickly dashed off an adequate paper to turn in the next day. Then I reconsidered, and went back and rewrote the paper, making an impassioned case for why we should have the freedom to remain silent during the pledge (not necessarily my opinion, but I used the emotionally charged nature of the subject to make a strong case nevertheless).

The following day toward the end of class the teacher was remarking on some of the homework papers, what she liked about this one or that one. Then she said "I want to read you something." I turned beet red when I realized that it was my paper that the was reading aloud to the class. The entire class was dead silent as she read, then she said, "That's just an example of what you can do if you want to put some more effort into your work."

I felt self-conscious, but very powerful. That was my first experience where I felt that I could move people with my words. I think that changed my whole attitude toward writing.

1. brakel2 profile image80
      brakel2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your answer moved me with its passion.  All answers show what a difference a teacher can make in the lives of students. Each story is unique.

working