All New Hubbers Should Be Required to Have a Profile/Biography

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. LearnFromMe profile image83
    LearnFromMeposted 12 years ago

I have noticed in the past few days while Hub Hopping and scanning my feed that there are a plethora of new hubs and hubbers joining the site and publishing low quality or poorly translated/spun hubs. When I click on the profile after flagging the hubs, I notice that there is no information about the hubber, suggesting to me that the accounts were just set up to promote those particular hubs. Would it be beneficial to make it mandatory for new hubbers to have a profile to prove that they are real people who can indeed write in English and that they're not using a translator/spinner?

1. relache profile image67
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How would requiring a profile bio prove those things?  I've seen plenty of junk/unintelligible/spam bios too.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's true, but it might cut down the volume, some. I think it would be a good start.

LearnFromMeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't think of the spam bios, relache. Good point! But like Rochelle said, would it cut down the volume of the low quality/spun hubs? It would be great to think it would...

1. Cardisa profile image88
            Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree and a good profile page looks so professional. I too have encountered quite a lot of these spun articles.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Posting a profile bio will not stop spammers but will help to deter some if they would have to take the time to actually write, so as far as the suggestion it can be of some usefulness and worth considering.....neutral

3. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 12 years ago

They should do like Infobarrel. You have to have ten reviewed articles before you can publish other articles without review. It weeds out a lot of that nonsense.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely agree. It would save everybodies time - hubhoppers and moderators.

4. Vinaya Ghimire profile image78
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 12 years ago

I strongly believe that when we contribute to an online writing sites like hubpages, we must also give our nice profile (I knew about writing interesting profile in a podcast hosted by hubpages).  We must not only write search friendly hubs but also profile, which really helps us to grow as a writer.

5. Cheeky Girl profile image67
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

I have to admit, I kind of like reading about the person in their bio. It gives a better picture of what the person is about, and enables us to view them in the broader sense. The Bio kind of is a big giveaway. And no bio is sort of unusual...

There are some hubbers who have many hubs and also have almost no bio as well. So it's a bit of all sorts in here smile

6. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years ago

I understand what the OP is getting at, if you were required to write a bio it might keep some spam down. But its pretty simple to type up a fake bio. And I like the fact that I do not have to reveal anything about myself if I dont want to.

It's ok to write a fake bio-- but if a person does not understand English they may not be able to read the directions or suggestions and the bio won't make much sense.

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are always so darn sensible!  Of course, that is the reason incapable hubbers have below par hubs!  I was thinking here would be an example of profile of the substandard hubber:

"O hiya! I is making of these hub for you.  Pleez read a lot of mine.  I will follow you.  I live on earth but I uzilly sound like from outer space. You be good.  Writing many things to make you hubber happy!  I have wife and kids somewhere.  Work in street.  Love to make hubber happy! Good to meet."

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

I would definitely read THAT!  Not.

2. Jonathan Janco profile image60
          Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol
          I never wrote that badly even when I was addicted to hard drugs! "Make you hubber happy" is going to stick in my head for a while.
          lol

3. shogan profile image75
          shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe you posted my profile in such a mocking way, mega.

2. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's pretty much the way it is with me.  I am so fake and everybody can tell.  Don't make me be honest.  Please!  big_smile

As i said before, I don't think it necessarily has to be true-- just more like yours than the one you just cited (or invented).

2. Bubblegum Senpai profile image88
        Bubblegum Senpaiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use a fake name and avatar, and do somewhat shamelessly promote myself in my profile, but I also have links in my profile to three of my favourite hubbers - related to topics I write about - Just to prove I'm actually participate in the community.

I also do give people an idea of what to expect when reading my writing, like the fact I listen to a certain type of music and enjoy watching certain shows.

1. Bubblegum Senpai profile image88
          Bubblegum Senpaiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, i know I made a few gramatical errors in there, but unfortunately it won't let me edit forum posts lol

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Another approach (the "more-effort approach") is that some people use a name that sounds about as middle-American as it could sound, they say they're from some middle-American sounding town/state, and put up a cliche-type picture that looks like a picture from a 1960's Sears Catalog (presumably because they think being a stereotypical, middle-American, might get them more credibility); and then say they're - like - a stay-at-home of 5 kids and they're interests are knitting and volunteering.

Then they'll post a zillion Hubs (some spun, some stolen) either all on how to make money or software - or else of so many different subjects it's clear the person hasn't zero'd in on any particular writing style or interests.  Or else, the Hubs are all written in language that makes it clear that English is about as far as from the person's first language as it gets.

Well, I once signed up with an outfit that said they matched writers with jobs.  Some of those assignments were to write fake profiles. I wasn't interested, but I was amazed that writing fake profiles actually showed up as assignments.  roll  Guess that explains that hypothetical-example, stay-at-home mom's OK English in her profile and the struggling English everywhere but the profile.  I almost trust the no-profile Hubber (or Internet writer somewhere else) than some of "too hollow"/"too shallow" ones with profiles.

LearnFromMeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's actually someone's job, to write fake profiles? That's crazy...but I guess there are some out there who need the money and would do something like that.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What I ran into wasn't one person's job, but it was a place where writers/project-do-ers take assignments (and a ton of the assignments were from countries where paying $3 a project was apparently considered "acceptable"  lol.  I made the mistake of signing up for one that said something like "write a 500-word article" for - I don't know - $5 or $10.  They wanted someone who had strong grammar skills, so I figured it would be an easy couple of dollars until I found better projects.  (I was new there.)  It was only after getting the "project" that I discovered what it was.

THEN (same place), a guy wanted me to create a fake profile and then use my own Yahoo account to start posting links "all over the world".  When I said I was concerned my account would be shut down he got really nasty and said, "Come on.  You weren't born yesterday!!"  (He was correct.  I wasn't.  I want and need whatever accounts I have for my own purposes and wasn't about to lose them for his lousy few dollars that would have bought me a few of cups of coffee in the U.S. )

1. melbel profile image94
          melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hate people who treat people like that. I get that a LOT in freelance. It's ridiculous. I was contacted on my HubPages account by someone who wanted me to write them an article.

It took a lot of back and forth before I found out that he wanted me to write a hub to put on my own HubPages account and put his site url as a link and out of the honesty that he has as an affiliate marketer, he'll let me know when an incoming visitor buys something and then when they make a purchase I get $10.

When I swiftly rejected this he was like, "But you get $10 per sale and on top of that, if your article gets a million views you'll make a fortune with AdSense!" (Apparently he's new at this.)

I just deleted the email, but yeah what a great idea, though, right? Write an article about vitamins, or whatever and then get a million views... what a novel idea... I've not thought about this before.... I've been going about it all wrong! I thought people wanted to read interesting things.

See ya' guys! I'm off to write about mesothelioma lawyers and then I'm going to get a million views so I can make a fortune on AdSense! I wish I had an affiliate link to add to my hubs so I can have a little side income to the fortune I'm going to make with AdSense.

8. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 12 years ago

All this talk about Hubbers creating professional bios got me thinking, and experimenting.  It's been a long time since I did anything with my profile page, so it's about time anyway.

The problem that I have with the profile page is that it's very limited on what can be done.  So, I spent about an hour just looking through different profiles on here to get some ideas.  I think I came up with something that works - for me, at least.

Basically, I kept the profile page very simple.  Personally, I like to see that nice little list of hubs up front and center, but it's hard to do that if you're forced to put your entire bio on the profile page.

Instead, I simply listed what I do and kept everything short.  Immediately under that, separated by an ASCII divider, I added links to a professional bio page as well a link to a personal bio page.  I also added a link to my Facebook page.

Finally, separated by another divider, I added a link to my main sales hub.  The last link goes directly to Amazon, and includes my affiliate information.

When I get a little more time, I'll add a link section to each of those pages (except Amazon, of course) that goes back to the profile page.

My thought is this: By separating out my profile like that I can accomplish several things.  First, it gives me more hubs, which means more earnings.  Second, it allows the reader to get to know what I do a little more.  And third, it allows the reader to dive right into the hubs since their more easily accessible.  Also, by adding the Amazon links front and center, it should encourage more people to click on those links.

I don't know yet how it'll work out, but I think it's a decent set up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)