Has anyone done an Ebook?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. carol7777 profile image74
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

Has anyone done an Ebook?

Any suggestions, ideas or help to offer?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image79
    Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years ago

Google some guidelines to make your work as easy to read as possible.  In my experience giving it away for free or for $.99 hasn't helped me sell any more books than setting a price for me to get a reasonable return for my work.  Good luck.

3. LoneWolfMuskoka profile image66
    LoneWolfMuskokaposted 10 years ago

Making an ebook is rather simple. Promoting it is what is hard.

You need to look at whether you're going to sell it yourself on your own site or distribute it through Amazon, Nook, Apple, etc. Or you could do both.

Formatting becomes an issue if you want to go through the big guns. Kindle formatting is easy if you want it to be simple, but any fancy touches get lost and mess things up unless you have someone who knows what they're doing.

I used Calibre to convert from OpenOffice to Kindle format and it turned out okay. You can also find professionals who can help you with the formatting.

If you're good with Word or OpenOffice, you can format it pretty nicely and create a good PDF. But the ereaders don't like PDF since it isn't as flexible with respect to page sizes.

Setting up your entry on Amazon is pretty straightforward. You have to decide what kind of royalty arrangement you want. Make sure you put in the keywords and categories that best fit your book.

Consider doing a giveaway for 5 days under the KDP Select program. You lock your book to Amazon for 3 months this way though, so you can use any other channels to distribute the book (although hardcopies can still be sold). But if you promote it well and get lots of downloads during the 5 day free period then you can see a lot of sales afterwards. Once the 3 months is up you can either sign up for another 3 months and repeat or launch on the other estores.

Just be aware of all the different channels available to promote your book when it's free. And push it hard. Your goal here is to get lots of positive reviews. And that means you need lots of people to get the book and read it.

Good luck!

carol7777posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for this wonderful explanation.  I will take heed to what you  have written.

2. LoneWolfMuskoka profile image66
      LoneWolfMuskokaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is one thing I forgot to mention. You should have a support page or even a full site dedicated to the book with links from the book back to that page. Give people a way to sign up for updates, related books, general info, etc.

4. Sonya-Artis profile image60
    Sonya-Artisposted 10 years ago

I have two Ebooks.  With both of mine the publishing company I was signed with created the Ebook. 
    I know several people that are NOT signed with publishing companies raking in the benifits of self publishing through createspace.com.  I personally have not used it, but from what I understand, it cost them a minimum amount, and each one of them not only made back their money, but profited by month two.  Of course, you have to work hard at promoting yourself.
    Wishing you the best of luck.

Thanks for the great advice.  I just have to decide the best way to go.

5. joanveronica profile image67
    joanveronicaposted 10 years ago

No suggestions, but I'm very interested in the answers, I'm just starting my ebook experience! Great question!

Stay tuned and we will see what happens.

6. kidscrafts profile image75
    kidscraftsposted 10 years ago

Not yet but I have enough materials now to publish two (one in English and one in French).  I will be working on that this coming month....at least I hope I will be able to finish that!  It's on my long list of things to do :-)
    I will be happy to go through the process at least one it will seems less frightening after that!
    You could definitely publish at least one yourself about horoscope because you developped that subject so in depth with all your hubs!

Thanks so much kidscraft.  I am always gun shy when it comes to computer things especially following instructions.  It is a language thing also.  It is almost like a foreign language.  You speak French are you from France?  I lived there years ago

2. kidscrafts profile image75
      kidscraftsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am from Belgium originally...but was born in Germany, lived in Africa as a kid, came back to Belgium and then went to Canada. But my first language is French. I learned English here in Canada because we live here but I still have to learn a lot.

7. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

Carol, I published a children's ebook in several different ways.  I have a hub on it.  Most important thing to remember is that formatting is critical.  If you have images, don't embed text within those images. (Really, applicable to children's picture books, mostly).  I do like BookBaby since they are able to get you into all the major suppliers, and they have wonderful materials that help you find reviewers, etc. (Lone Wolf's suggestions are great as well).  I'd suggest setting up a webpage for your ebook and solely for your ebook.  My friend used wordpress.  I use web.com. Think 5 years from now.  Where are people going to be reading your ebook?  Probably on their smart phones. Also consider an app.  I created one with ibuildapp. (Not a book, but I used the book formatting there).  It's a little technical at the end, but my husband is a software engineer and submitted it for me.  Otherwise, I did it myself.  (Something to explore).   Promotion is the hardest part. Just think of yourself as an author who has to go on tour.  That would entail hours spent in book signings, etc.  You have to spend AT LEAST the same about of time promoting your ebook. (I haven't done that and wish I did). FOCUS.  (I have gone off on 93 different projects since publishing my book - so it's languishing out there). Try to get radio interviews after your book is finished.  Don't expect a whole boatload of income from this - it's more of a legacy thing if you don't have gazillion hours or money to devote to promotion, etc.  Besides everyone wants something for nothing.  Think ahead about a sample you'll want to give the readers on your website and make them want to read more. More later.  Please don't hesitate to email.  me.  Oh and if you need funding for a paper version of your ebook, dont' forget about kickstarter.com.  (I STILL haven't created my video for that, but plan to because a children's book REALLY needs all manner of publication.) One final note: If you can't create a WONDERFUL, PROFESSIONAL "cover" for your ebook, pay to have someone design it for you.  The cover is very important.

thank you so much for this great information!!! I know about covers having written two books...I so appreciate your taking time to share all of this. I am going to copy and reread...

8. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7850069_f260.jpg

My most recent book was compiled into an e-book quite easily and it was created/published by my publisher (Kendall-Hunt) at approximately 80% of my hardcopy cost. Since my royalty is a percent it does affect my bottom line a "wee bit"... My sales have not been that great for either type; however, my e-book seems to be prolonging my sales somewhat...

1. Billie Kelpin profile image86
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

C, Bookbaby has some interesting information on getting reviewers.    Reviews seem critical.  Mike Rounds has some youtube info and CDs that are somewhat helpful. I'll check out your book. I buy Kindle ebooks and read them on my PC and phone.

2. carol7777 profile image74

Thank you so much for your help.

3. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Billie, much appreciated! I will definitely check out both C. Bookbaby and Mike Rounds...

4. Billie Kelpin profile image86
      Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Connorj, the "c" was just short for your name smile   Here is a bookbaby blog link I found.  I really haven't done this yet, but it sounds like a good route to go.  http://blog.bookbaby.com/2011/11/garner … our-ebook/

5. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dear Billie,
      You "c" some of us slow learners are just too literal. Thanks for the correction...

9. heidithorne profile image91
    heidithorneposted 10 years ago

Have done multiple e-books. I published a couple directly on Amazon Kindle. But now I'm publishing as a paperback AND a Kindle e-book on Amazon Createspace. Love it that Amazon takes care of all the backend transactions and just sends me the royalties. Kindle royalties can be up to around 70%. Better than going through a publisher! Good luck with your e-book project!

10. Dennis AuBuchon profile image62
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 10 years ago

I have written two books.  One is available as a paperback and an ebook and the other is strictly an ebook.  I feel ebooks are the wave of the future and from reports are outselling paperback.  I do not feel paperback will go away as some individuals like to have a book in their hands when they are reading.

Creating an ebook is easy and some publishers will list them for free on their site and collect the money and give you the royalties.  I plan on writing many more books with an emphasis on ebooks.  I am currently working on my third and when fininished it will begin as an ebook

11. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years ago

There are several free platforms that will let you create/publish for little or no cost. I have several books with Booktango and less with Smashwords. The process is easy and they pay on time. But promoting your book is done by you once the publishers submit them to the retailers.
    https://www.booktango.com/Lead/LeadRegi … oktango.EM

http://www.smashwords.com/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)