jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

"We have heard the chimes at midnight together...." I love this line from Shakes

1. damian0000 profile image72
    damian0000posted 4 years ago

"We have heard the chimes at midnight together...." I love this line from Shakespeare

What is your favourite quotation?

2. mysticalrose profile image72
    mysticalroseposted 4 years ago

“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    ― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

damian0000posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I never heard this one before Rose... very powerful! Will have to check it out

2. mysticalrose profile image72
      mysticalroseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

smile If we are doing Shakespeare how can we not remember
      “All the world's a stage.”
      -As you like it

3. stuff4kids profile image96
    stuff4kidsposted 4 years ago

" We are such stuff / As dreams are made on; and our little life /
       Is rounded with a sleep."

The Tempest, Act 4, scene 1.

I love this, not only because of its rhythms and the subtlety of its imagery but for its essential and universal truth.

Of course, Prospero is referring to the various illusions and visions he has created by his magical arts. However, the metaphor extends to include the play itself, the very business of 'play-acting' and making theatre. But more profoundly again, perhaps, to real life. It reminds us that even our lives are brief, fleeting and in some ways as insubstantial as dreams. So in that sense, it reminds us of our mortality.

This kind of multiple layering of meanings hidden and revealed within such a poetic economy of words is one of the reasons - the main reason in fact - that I love Shakespeare's work.

Thanks for the question. Bless you smile

Great answer stuff4kids and thank you for it! There are so many lines from Shakespeare could make it on here and everybody has their own particular favourite plays which just shows his incredible diversity and range. Can't add anything to your points

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 4 years ago

"Look at her, Moor, if thou hast eyes to see. She hath betrayed her father and may thee" -- from Othello

Now you are talking, Old Empresario!
      I think Othello is my favourite of all Shakespeare's work and Iago put me off politics and politicians for life

working