jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Anyone else have a hard time coming up with good titles?

1. Shanders profile image76
    Shandersposted 5 years ago

Anyone else have a hard time coming up with good titles?

I write fiction and with alot of my stories I have the worst time thinking up a title, my roommate seems to rattle them off as if it's nothing after reading just a few lines, is it just me?

2. shanmarie profile image80
    shanmarieposted 5 years ago

Only when HP rejects it because someone else has already used it!

3. JayeWisdom profile image91
    JayeWisdomposted 5 years ago

I share your problem with titles, Shanders, both for fiction (short stories) and non-fiction (articles and essays). I often struggle with titles and am rarely satisfied with those I create. I've tried several techniques for writing them, but nothing seems to help.

All writers have their strengths and weaknesses.  My major strength in fiction is dialogue, and proper grammar comes easily to me for all my writing. Writing titles is tiresome for me, but if I had to choose strengths, I'd keep the ones I have.

I'll bet you have writing strengths that make up for your difficulty with titles. (When I finish this answer, I'll check out a couple of your hubs and see what they are.)

Regards,
    Jaye

1. Shanders profile image76
      Shandersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Jaye, very nice to know I'm not alone in this! I feel the same about not being satisfied withe the titles I do manage to come up with. There are few that I look at and go "Oh, that's good" lol.

2. JayeWisdom profile image91
      JayeWisdomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I read your recent flash fiction story and a longer thriller, making remarks about your obvious strengths as a writer in the Comments section. Titles aren't everything....

Jaye

4. brakel2 profile image81
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

Yes, I have a real problem. My keywords are in title, but I add a word so it is not one article among millions. Then I never know inhere it will end up. I need to work on SEO for my titles   If it is good content, some do end up on page 1 Google. For that, I am thankful.

5. msshandriaball profile image46
    msshandriaballposted 5 years ago

Yes,and i often change my titles on hubs to help increase views on  hubs that aren't receiving many views and this has helped on a few of my hubs.

6. shyprn14 profile image64
    shyprn14posted 5 years ago

Yes;sometimes I get writer's block, and then going back to school, takes up sometime also. I write some fiction, poems, and non fiction. But as I stated, just here lately going back to school. Sometimes interferes with blogging, or writing which ever people call it.

7. creativearts2009 profile image86
    creativearts2009posted 5 years ago

Lol yes, it is the hardest thing. I have 3 cool manuscripts all written out, none of them has a catchy marketable title... I believe titles are like Jingles and some people have the knack, more like advertising people than us lowly authors!

8. must65gt profile image83
    must65gtposted 5 years ago

Often I find myself writing about an Ideal or thought pattern and the title is not even brought into the equation. once the piece I am working on reaches its conclusion  I read it and the title will manifest itself with only some minor editing on my part. For example, one of my first short stories completed two years ago (the Special Gift) that I hold with high esteem spoke to its undeniable name. I believe that if you will worry about the subject, the blanks will fill themselves in.

9. khmazz profile image83
    khmazzposted 5 years ago

I do quite a bit...It's hard for me to come up with something that I feel gives the proper justice to my content.

working