jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What are some favorite books of boys (ages 8-10)?

1. KDeus profile image96
    KDeusposted 4 years ago

What are some favorite books of boys (ages 8-10)?

My son is currently reading books from the Sunshine State Young Readers Award book list and also loves the 39 Clues series. What other books would you suggest introducing? He loves to read!

2. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 4 years ago

How to Train Your Dragon
    Cressida Cowell (Hodder)

A laugh-out loud romp of a Viking adventure set on the windy Isle of Berk, this is the first in a hugely successful 10-book series and is now being made into a film. Having just passed his dragon initiation programme, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, a young Viking searching for a way of becoming a hero, sets about the challenge. First, he must catch a dragon; then he will have to train it. Hiccup's attempts are hilarious and charming, and the cold, soggy world of the Vikings provides an endless source of mirth. Ages 8+

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Roald Dahl (Puffin)

Against all the odds, poor Charlie Bucket finds a golden ticket to a trip of a lifetime to visit Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. The tour round the factory is every child's dream, but too much of a temptation for Charlie's fellow golden ticket winners. A classic, magical, rags-to-riches moral fairytale. Ages 8+

The Tale of Despereaux
    Kate DiCamillo, illustrated by Timothy Basil Ering (Walker)

Despereaux the mouse loves reading and music. Maybe as a result of his poetic nature, Despereaux breaks the great mouse taboo by falling in love with a human princess. Banished to a cellar full of rats, Despereaux discovers the rats' plan to capture the princess and bring her down into the darkness and decides to foil it. Full of charm, this is a heroic story of how goodness and courage can outsmart evil. Ages 8+

The Arrival
    Shaun Tan (Hodder)

Experiences familiar to migrants of all kinds are brilliantly told via the stunning illustrations of this poignant and atmospheric graphic novel set against a changing background of landscapes and peoples, through which the man at the centre of the story carries his suitcase. His feelings of confusion and isolation, the problems of communication and misunderstanding, the despair and then the easing of the experience through friendship spill beyond the individual and offer great insights. Ages 8+

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oc … ldren-8-10

1. KDeus profile image96
      KDeusposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! Great suggestions! I remember my daughter reading The Tale of Despereaux and loved it!

3. Sunny River profile image60
    Sunny Riverposted 4 years ago

I would also add to the list The Ranger's Apprentice series and The Brotherband Chronicles, both by John Flanagan.
    The Ranger's Apprentice Series is 10 books and a bonus book, featuring Will, a young boy chosen to become a Ranger. There is plenty of action with bad guys and bows and arrows but it's combined with plenty of loyalty and good lessons.
    The Brotherband Chronicles, a 3 book series, is set in the same world but a different country and features a young boy named Hal, who is treated as an outcast because of mixed parentage, but he soon becomes captain of the misfits brotherband and they find out they're stronger because of it.
    I have introduced both my sisters (who have sons getting to that age) to these books and neither can wait to pass them on. smile

1. KDeus profile image96
      KDeusposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I will definitely check these out, too! I enjoy the series books because they're so excited to get on to the next one. His love for reading started with introducing him to the 39 Clues series which I love because it also introduces some history!

4. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

My son is 10 and he has recently discovered the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series. Prior to that he was hooked on R.L. Stine's "Goosebumps" for a while, though that craze seems to be winding down now.

He also enjoys a series called "Hank the Cowdog," which is a Western style comedic adventure series about a dog that lives on a Texas cattle ranch. Hank himself narrates the stories (I guess you'd call that the "dog's eye view?"), and they're very funny stuff.

My 5 year old isn't quite reading on his own yet but he loves the "Bad Kitty" series of graphic novels, especially when I read them to him and do goofy voices for each of the characters.