jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What's the worst book you ever tried to read but couldn't finish?

1. ParadigmEnacted profile image72
    ParadigmEnactedposted 4 years ago

What's the worst book you ever tried to read but couldn't finish?

2. Family Fun Faith profile image60
    Family Fun Faithposted 4 years ago

I usually finish books that I begin, figuring that I will find at least an idea or quote that I will be of benefit sometime or other. But some time ago I began The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesterton. I get bogged down in it very quickly. Too dry and philosophical for my taste.

3. Raina Evink profile image61
    Raina Evinkposted 4 years ago

Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It was assigned as part of an English assignment and both my partner and I couldn't get through the first few chapters. Everyone told us that it got so much better later in the book, but we didn't want to wait and switched to Olive Kitteridge.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I try not to hate on books, because if they're getting people to read then they are beneficial to some degree. But I have run into a specific writing style that I can't seem to get into. I don't know what to call it, but I first ran into it in Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I think it was called "Ten Big Ones". Granted, I read it out of order in the series, but I just didn't like the style, characters or storyline. I ran into a similar problem with both Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey. I tried to see what the popularity was about, but I just found the main characters wooden and unlikeable. Even when they promised a reveal of information, I found no motivation to turn the pages.

working