jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

What is your favorite little known work of fiction?

1. ParadigmEnacted profile image72
    ParadigmEnactedposted 4 years ago

What is your favorite little known work of fiction?

2. EJ Lambert profile image74
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

It really is sad this is little known since I feel it could've been great if people knew about it.  It's called the "Seer King" series.  It's a trilogy detailed the life of a young soldier named Damastes who meets this ambitious wizard named Tenedos.  Together they rise up the ranks until they incite civil war with the corrupt government called the Rule of Ten.  It is filled with battle scenes, vivid characters, twists and more than a little sex.  The author is named Chris Bunch whose military background clearly shows in the pages, which is why I was drawn to it in the first place.  It breaks my heart because he died in 2005 at age 61.

ParadigmEnactedposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip. Definitely sounds like my kind of book.

3. CroftRoan profile image81
    CroftRoanposted 4 years ago

I think my favorite work would be Hidden Stars by Madeline Howard. It's a fantasy epic published in 2004 about a group finding a young girl to stop on evil empress. I have never seen it in a book store let alone in another person's hands.

Oh.

4. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 4 years ago

That would be my own first science fiction novel, Ptolia, Book One.  Written in 1975, it was finally published in 1982 and sold something like 8,000 or 9,000 copies right out of the gate...but that was it.  Reviews by readers were highly favorable, but there just weren't enough of them, and the publisher's promotions only reached a very small niche group of people.
    My favorite review was by a 15 year old boy.  I worked in the oil patch as a workover rig derrick hand when the book was released.  The 15 year old was my Supervisor's son.  He (a) read it, (b) wrote a book report on it for school, and (c) in that report stated that, "...it would make a great video game!"
    Can't get much higher praise from that from a high school sophomore.
    My style has evolved exponentially since then, but it was fine for a first novel.
    I just checked Amazon.  Looks like 18 copies available there (from just about that many sellers).

Thanks for commenting, and congratulations on your success.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Suds in Your Eye, by Mary Lasswell, published around 1942.  When I was a girl I found it on my family bookshelf and read it. I would say I have read it at least 10 times. It is so much fun - 3 old gals live together in a junk yard and struggle to make ends meet during WW2 with creative solutions.

Now that sounds like a wild plot.

6. Marian Designs profile image81
    Marian Designsposted 4 years ago

My favorite little-known work of fiction is Clyde Edgerton's "Walking Across Egypt." Edgerton is a southern writer (North Carolina, to be precise). "Walking Across Egypt" is is always touching and at times hilariously funny. Not many books can make me laugh out loud.

In this novel, an older woman named Mattie reaches out to a young man named Weslie, who needs someone to help him. Mattie's compassion and good "ole" Southern hospitality transform him into a decent young man.

One outstanding trait of this book is that it can be enjoyed by people of all types and levels of education. I loaned a copy to an older woman who cleans houses and has only a 6th-grade education, and she loved it. As she recounted her favorite scene, she laughed so hard that tears came to her eyes.

I heartily recommend "Walking Across Egypt."

Thanks for the recommendation.

7. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image85
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 4 years ago

"The Marble Faun" by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It is a slightly historical/slightly gothic novel from 1860 about three artists and a man who commits a murder. This book has always been overshadowed by Hawthorne's "The Scarlet Letter" and most people now have never even heard of it. I like "The Marble Faun" because of the atmosphere, but it does move awfully slow so I can understand why people have never liked it.

Interesting trivia there.

8. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie. A lot of people assume that the books by Salman Rushdie are political in nature, because of the famous death warrant put on his head, but this children's fantasy is a love letter to his family. It's a heartwarming book about a boy who goes on a fantastic adventure on a distant moon. Very well written, but not very well known.

9. wychic profile image88
    wychicposted 4 years ago

The Necessary Beggar, by Susan Palwick. I'm afraid my review doesn't do it any justice, I wrote it a few years ago and it hasn't been included in my update sweep yet, but it still has the basics http://wychic.hubpages.com/hub/The-Nece … ook-Review . The same author also wrote Flying in Place, which is a heart-wrenching read, but she tells the stories so incredibly well. I came across the first book by accident and sought out everything else she wrote -- never heard of her anywhere else, and it's a shame that people don't know what they're missing.

working