jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Does anybody look at book reviews before reading? I might write some.

1. Autumn Renee profile image60
    Autumn Reneeposted 4 years ago

Does anybody look at book reviews before reading? I might write some.

2. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

No. Just judging the book by myself is enough. What is the story line? Do the characters draw me in? Is the way the book written interesting? Etc.

Autumn Reneeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think that a lot of people view it the same way as you.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

Yes, I like to read reviews before reading a book.

Thanks for your answer

4. WalterPoon profile image79
    WalterPoonposted 4 years ago

I don't intentionally seek book reviews. If I hear that some books are good, I go to the bookshop and browse the book to see for myself. If I like it, I buy and if I don't, I give it a miss. Personally, I think that "Who Moved My Cheese" is much ado about nothing, not to mention the cut-throat price for such a thin book, thanks (or rather "no thanks") to its expensive marketing campaign.

"Who Moved My Cheese" didn't appeal to me.  I guess it goes to show the power of a good title and cover.  (Something I have learned when trying to help people select books.)

5. zanaworld profile image65
    zanaworldposted 4 years ago

These days people don't have much time.  Hence if a book review influence them, then, they go ahead read the complete book.

In fact, there are some agencies engage in summarizing books into small version for busy business people to read so that they can quote the books in social gathering as if they have read the book.

I would love to be able to read a book and summarize for my day job.

6. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

I like to write the occasional review - of older, classic books - and get some response. Hubpages is a good platform for getting 'out there'.
    I guess if you concentrated on more popular novels and such you'd get a worth while following after a time. It's worth a try I'd say. Much good reviewing if you do decide to go for it.

Thanks, Most likely I would focus on the books I have missed while in school for the last seven years.  I could write plenty of classic reviews after all that...

7. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I usually don't bother reading the reviews. If the synopsis of the book catches my attention and sounds like something I want to read. That said, I'll write reviews of books I've read because I know there are people who make their decisions based on the over-all rating and what other people have to say.

That's good to note, that some people do base their decision on others.  Otherwise, why would Amazon have a comment section?

8. KL Klein profile image85
    KL Kleinposted 4 years ago

I do read book reviews, but I usually go to Goodreads or Amazon to look for them.

I like both of those.  I tend to read the synopsis on Wikipedia as well.

working