jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the main reason we get writers block?

1. twig22bend profile image76
    twig22bendposted 4 years ago

What is the main reason we get writers block?

When your creative juices dry up and you cannot think of something that might interest others.

2. CraftytotheCore profile image81
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

It happens to me when I'm mostly stressed.  If I have a lot going on,  I tend to not be able to think about writing. 

The same holds true for me in art.  If I'm stressed out, my mind just won't let me think and open up to creativity. 

I also find that when I'm fatigued or run down, my writing and creative energy dries up.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Distractions are a big problem for me. Very rarely can I sit down for an hour without something demanding my attention. At which point, I lose the momentum I had going and, sometimes, the interest in finding it again. Usually when this happens, I tell myself two things. The first; know when you're beaten. If there are too many distractions, you're not doing either thing justice. And the second; any amount of progress is better than no progress at all. Even if I only worked on a paragraph, at least it puts me that much closer to my goal.

4. triciajean profile image70
    triciajeanposted 4 years ago

If you are well-rested and have an hour to call your own, and you still "have writer's block, you are writing the wrong story."  I'm quoting Pat Carr, a fiction writer and university teacher I trust.

5. Resident Weevil profile image69
    Resident Weevilposted 4 years ago

For my part, it's pure laziness.  There are a million different things worth writing about.  And even if there were only one, there's a million different ways to write about it.

But if my mind doesn't feel like exerting itself, it will divert itself in any less mentally taxing direction it pleases. 

It's more a matter of focus and discipline.  If I have "writer's block", it's a simple indication that I'm too lazy to think.  YMMV.

working