This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is used to quickly and efficiently deliver files such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisements has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Parents of young children: What kind of cover do you prefer for a children's pi

1. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

Parents of young children:  What kind of cover do you prefer for a children's picture book?

Self-published authors face the dilemma of choosing among various print choices for their children's picture book stories (all of which are expensive).  Gone are the days of Golden Books (for some reason).  An author has the choice of a hard cover book that would end up having to retail at about $24.95 (24 page color) or a thin glossy "paperback" book that would probably retail at $12.95  I am thinking about adding a narrated CD in the back of the glossy version to add more value, but do parents prefer hard cover picture books for children approx. age 4 - 6 ?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8445147_f260.jpg

2. CroftRoan profile image81
    CroftRoanposted 4 years ago

I don't have children but I do know something about self-publishing and book retail. It really depends on the parent's preferences. I know a lot of parents that would rather buy paperback for their children so if the child destroys it (chances are they might) they won't have wasted too much money. There are some old time favorites (Puff the Magic Dragon, Christmas stories, classical tales) that would be better in hardcover.
    I'd recommend doing the paperback and adding the audio CD. That would probably get parents to buy more than the binding because kids are learning to read around the ages you're thinking of. Hearing the words sounded out helps the kids learn and the CD will let the parents do something else while their child is learning.
    I hope this helps and good luck!

Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

CroftRoan,  This is VERY helpful.  Thank you.  It's exactly what my younger friend who has a little 5 year old told me.  I think that's much more do-able for me.  I'm going to try to get a kick-starter funding and wanted more input. Much appreciation

2. CroftRoan profile image81
      CroftRoanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Let me know when you get the kickstarter up. I can spread the word through my connections.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image86

CroftRoan,  Wow, thank you so much.  I'll let you know when my kickstarter video "kicks in - How nice of you smile !!!

3. CraftytotheCore profile image81
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

I started a library for my children when they were very young.
    I had so many books, we filled at least 6 bookcases and then some.

For that age, I have to say, we had all kinds.  Hardcover, softcover, and board books.

Crafy, thanks so much.  Are board books those old Golden Books or Tell-a-Tale books.  I wish I could get my story in that cardboard book format that Golden Books and Western Publishing had.  I don't see that offered any more.

2. CraftytotheCore profile image81
      CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

We had a mixture of different ones, including Dr. Seuss board books.  My aunt published a children's book in hardcover with a dust jacket, but I have no idea what the details were.

4. ExpectGreatThings profile image84
    ExpectGreatThingsposted 4 years ago

I have a 3 and 5 year old. Honestly, for books like yours with pictures, we prefer hardbacks. These books are going to be read and requested a lot, and paperback just doesn't cut it. I have never paid $25 for a book, though. The Dr. Seuss ones are about $14. How can some books retail cheaper? Someone mentioned board books in one of your comments; I wouldn't go that route if you are targeting 4-6 year olds. My kids think those books are only for the baby smile.

It sounds like you don't have an easy choice. We do have some paperbacks that have still managed to keep their covers on, but they are not favorites. And I would never choose to buy one to give to another family.

My 5 year old is just now starting to enjoy chapter books, so we are attempting to try paperbacks again. But they are longer, don't have pictures, and will only be read one or two times. On another note, I miss those Golden Books and pick them up at garage sales whenever I can! And my kids have enjoyed reading about Lucky on the Kindle smile

EGT, I'd like to send you free narrated download of "Lucky..." (and anyone else on hubpages. (Does anyone know it that would be "over-promotional" to url here?  It's a hidden page for only complimentary versions. Thanks for your comment?

2. ExpectGreatThings profile image84
      ExpectGreatThingsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I would love the link! And if you get in trouble just blame it on me smile

working