I have a very long article I'm about to publish

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mariexotoniposted 10 years ago

I have a very long article I'm about to publish

It's 2300 words and looks scary.. How can I make my article look more readable without taking the meat out of it?

2. Clare Rubel profile image61
    Clare Rubelposted 10 years ago

Hi Marie;
    This is my recommendation: Take out as many articles, pronouns, conjunctions and prepositions as you can. This is the first step when "editing" your piece. This is the modern way  to write. (Ref. "Long Ridge Writers Group, Coursework) Make it works so that your message is clear. My auntie said, "Use clarity and brevity." - English Professor, Freelance Journalist, San Francisco, CA. Step two; Go from there.
    Article-- "the", "a", "an", (and sometimes) "some". (Wiki)
    Pronoun--substitutes for a noun, i.e., he, she, they, etc. (wiki)
    Conjunction--part of speech that connects two words, sentences, phrases or clauses, i.e., "and', "but", "although", "however", etc. (I use these too much; have to edit them OUT!)
    Marie, once you've done this, your piece will be much shorter, maybe 2000 wds. The only other recommendation is to find one (1) word that replaces five words, e.g., "I wanted to go to the store,  but I didn't have enough money to buy what I wanted." Try, "I planned to shop but noticed I was shot on funds." Only five fewer words, but it adds up!
    Practice this. You'll become very good at keeping word-count down.
    Remember tho, always write from the heart; stream of consciousness. Use ALL the words you can think of to say. This is great. Editing is it's own animal, so do the above, but only after the fact.
    L. Clare

3. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 10 years ago

Hi Marie. Don't be scared. smile) We have people who have published longer hubs than that. The secret to publishing long hubs here on HP is not the editing but the formatting of the hub.

1) Use multiple capsules with subheadings
    2) Break up the hub using photos and videos
    3) Add a table if necessary
    4) Use right side text capsules so you have text also on the right side (make them blue for visual effect)

I would suggest using one of the pre-formatted templates which HP already has. This way you just add your text and images and delete the ones which you haven't used.

This hub is over 2000 words:
    http://cardisa.hubpages.com/hub/Facts-A … hould-Know

4. Greensleeves Hubs profile image90
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 10 years ago

Both Cardisa's and Clare's answers contain good advice. Particularly I agree that breaking up the text with photos, different coloured text capsules, maps etc makes the page much more visually enticing. 1000 words of text without breaks looks more daunting to visitors than 5000 words with photos, graphs, dividers and sub-headings.

Remember also, although a long article may put off HubPage members who visit just out of curiosity without a really deep interest in your article, in the long term your main goal must be to attract the much larger community who search on Google or Yahoo or Bing etc. These are people who have a genuine interest in the subjects they are searching for and they would much rather come across an in-depth comprehensive article than waste their time visiting an incomplete piece which contributes little. That's not to say that short hubs are bad - it's simply to say that hubs should be as long as they need to be to say everything you want to say and to cover the subject fully.  Making your page the best of its type on the web is a far better goal than making your hub short enough for casual visitors to read.

For what it's worth, almost none of my pages are under 1,000 words and many are more than 3,000. The longest is about 10,000. It takes a long time to write them and maybe I could have built up a bigger following more quickly with lots of short hubs, but I want to build a good reputation on the web for quality, authoritative and genuinely useful pages. That hopefully will pay dividends long term. Alun.

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with this. The primary objective is not to gain followers here but to attract external readers who are searching for answers. Don't worry about the quantity but rather the quality. Make the hub look as enticing as possible.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)