jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How Many Rejections Before You Were Published?

1. CrazedNovelist profile image84
    CrazedNovelistposted 4 years ago

How Many Rejections Before You Were Published?

Any writers out there are published by a big publisher? How long did it take you to get there and how many rejections did you receive before being accepted?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I'm not published by a big publisher, but I did rack up 52 rejections from literary agents. I heard that Stephen King had a wall full of rejection slips and Harry Potter was rejected more than ten times. So, it's a very common part of the process. The hardest part isn't necessarily getting the rejections, it's running out of places to submit. Eventually there are no more places to market that particular book and you have to switch to a new one.

3. craftdrawer profile image68
    craftdrawerposted 4 years ago

I decided to self-publish through Amazon KDP and Create Space. Make a lot more money than I did through main stream publishing. http://craftdrawer.hubpages.com/hub/Suc … ith-eBooks

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I sent query letters to probably 40 or 50 different agents over a period of almost three years and was rejected every time. While most of them seemed to enjoy my work, none of the 3 or 4 who seemed the most interested had the time "to take on a new, unknown author" - their words, not mine. My solution was to self-publish; however, at this time my writing is more of a hobby. From other people I've talked to and things I've read, it would seem that it takes, on average, about five years and many rejections before you get accepted. Don't give up if you really want to go the traditional route.