jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Writing practices and advices for non-native speakers?

1. Linkya profile image59
    Linkyaposted 4 years ago

Writing practices and advices for non-native speakers?

I have started writing for nearly two months now. Four featured Hubs so far but contents quality are still mediocre and haven't get enough attention. Quite a long way to go. Every hubs I wrote, I spent lots of time searching for materials and investigating how to use words correctly. As a non-native speaker, can anyone recommend a good free site to learn professional writing and how to use strong words, how to make perfect sentences?
    And I want to ask, how often do you practice? I write everyday but I'm not good enough to be my own editor. Have you have any tips to self correct?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I don't know any websites, but perhaps someone else can help you with that part of your question. What I will suggest is read, read, and read some more. Whether it's books written in English or other people's hubs, read as often as you can. At first, don't pay too much attention to the topic or the story. Pay more attention to the way the writer uses the words and the structure of their sentences. It may seem I have it easy because English is the only language I've ever learned, but I've learned much more about the language from reading than I ever have from all of the teachers and professors who tried to teach me better writing skills.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image95
      M. T. Dremerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. The best way to learn the intricacies of English is to read a whole lot of books written with it.

2. Linkya profile image59
      Linkyaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. Great advice. There is nothing more I can do outside reading and practicing a lot. smile