Why would some one write numbers on the back case of my gold elgin pocket watch.

1. Jose L Rivera profile image55
    Jose L Riveraposted 3 years ago

Why would some one write numbers on the back case of my gold elgin pocket watch.

There is numbers and Rome's  numerals written  in the back case of my watch next to the guaranteed philadelphia. Watch case co.twenty years and serial#9173422.the weird thing is the numbers are inside the gold you now like when you print money.you can rub your finger over the numbers you can fill nothing .was there a watch made for someone with secret information on it .also the watch does not say 14k and is only 7Jewels. The case has W with aJB on the top of it

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8836053_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I can't tell you a thing about the way everything is "inside" the gold. The 7 jewels refers to the inner workings of the watch. In watches made in the 1800s and after, rubies, diamonds, or sapphires were used to keep some metal parts from wearing on other parts so your watch (if marked correctly) will have seven actual gemstones inside. The AJB is most likely the Maker's Mark and refers to the person or company who made the watch and you should be able to find a website that pictures some of those and you can compare your mark to those lists. The "W" may be an part of the Maker's Mark or it could indicate the year the watch was made.

working