What is your suggestion for dealing with someone's bias (for people, ideas, etc)

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. midget38 profile image87
    midget38posted 9 years ago

What is your suggestion for dealing with someone's bias (for people, ideas, etc)

2. profile image0
    temptor94posted 9 years ago

From my experience, people who are biased about other people or ideas cannot be easily corrected. They tend to be very rigid and form a lasting opinion about everything based on stray incidents. They refuse to admit their bias and cannot accept criticism in any form. I have faced such people at my workplace.
    The best way to deal with such people is to avoid them and stay away from conflicts. Of course, they will develop a bias against you that you are too aloof, but that bias will be way milder and less ugly compared to those who take head-on conflicts with them.

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

In most cases avoid them. You can't fix stupid. Having said that, My best friend is a highly biased Baptist, homophobic, you name it, except racially biased individual. Call it Karma, I guess, but when her son fell in love with an African American woman and they had two children together, she accepted and loved the children and never considered their color. (The relationship didn't last, and she has problems with his ex, but racial issues aren't involved, just the usual "ex problems"..) I wonder what would have happened if another of her (3) sons had decided he was homosexual. Sometimes the problem fixes itself.
    At work we tiptoe around the narrow-minded ones and try to steer clear of any conversation that might set them off. Usually our policy is to say nothing and walk away. If you handle it right, and apparently we are, they don't come after us. (Something like "I think I hear my phone ringing," or "Sorry, but the copier is available now, and I need to use it" usually works.)
    There are times, however, when you just can't keep quiet. Recently when one of them was ranting about the evils of Obamacare, I told her that I voted for it and was glad it passed. When she asked why, I replied that my son now had insurance (she already knew that he has a potentially fatal pre-existing condition.) It looked like a light went off in her head and she said, "Oh." I've never heard another word from her about that. We are still on good terms.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"You can't fix stupid."  Indeed!  Could not have said it better myself.  Being retired, and hubby being disabled, we don't have much face-to-face interaction with such folks, but we are very politically active on FB--trying to educate at least some.

4. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 9 years ago

Work hard on finding a way to just walk away. I have learned that bigots cannot change because they do not want to change. I have learned that, for the most part, bigots think they are right and pride themselves in some presumed "righteousness".

5. profile image0
    Sri Tposted 9 years ago

To understand that there are infinite concepts and lots of ways to see things. Everybody chooses their own views. They may be right, they may be wrong. There is no point in caring because people are in love with their points of view, even if they are wrong. They have free will to be good, bad or indifferent towards others. If they don't want to be fair or good, you can't make them. So it's best to be unconcerned about others opinions. They have to live with it. If it serves them well, that's good for them, if not they will suffer because of it.

1. Bob Francis profile image62
      Bob Francisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe I have everr met anyone or known anyone that is absolutely not biased about something or someone. what a boring world it would be

2. profile image0
      Sri Tposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And that is why it is best to be unconcerned with the opinions of others.

6. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

"I understand you are steadfast in your particular BIAS regarding___________.  I don't entertain that bias......but it's wonderful we have the right to our own personal opinions.......It seems this subject is something we need to avoid discussing. I see nothing positive resulting from verbal ping pong and I'm sure you can agree with me on that."

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well put.  I may go a round or two with someone, and when it becomes apparent there will be no meeting of the minds, I'll conclude with, "Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree."  and I leave it at that, and either leave or change the subject.

7. Fred Arnold profile image61
    Fred Arnoldposted 9 years ago

Usually a biased opinion or statement involves some type of fallacious thinking. Generally I will just point it out and see if the conversation can continue. Every person's opinion is important so a person should never be disregarded. You definitely learn a lot by being objective and listening. So avoiding a person is not, in my opinion, the best course of action. Obviously if they become angry and start to yell, you should end the conversation pretty quick. But one of the best things in life is a good conversation and you can't have that by negating everyone's opinion.

8. Mercy and poetry profile image63
    Mercy and poetryposted 7 years ago

That is a question of Perception, it is lack of understanding that everyone has a right to his own opinion and belief, only that they should be ready to bear the consequences themselves. Read more about perceptions in the book called Perception theory.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/653934

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)