jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Any one got any tips for a query/cover letter when submitted to a publisher?

1. S T Alvyn profile image76
    S T Alvynposted 3 years ago

Any one got any tips for a query/cover letter when submitted to a publisher?

In particular via email and when no editor is specified. After looking through many samples and reading different opinions, email queries don't require company name and address, but does require a name. I saw the same query on another forum, but no one could answer especially when the email is submissions. Thanks.

2. billybuc profile image88
    billybucposted 3 years ago

I've written a couple hubs about this topic, and they should have everything you need to know about it.

S T Alvynposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I thought you may have, but didn't come up in a search...

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

Billybuc does have some awesome hubs on the subject. Most of the queries I've submitted were via email. Most agencies or publishers will specify to whom the query should be addressed if there are more than one editor working at that agency who will be reading the letters. If the email is to be sent to a agency or publisher with only one editor/agent responsible for this job, the person's name should appear somewhere on the website. I'd be suspicious of any agent or publisher stating they'll accept any serious queries yet not providing their name and other information at the site. To me, it seems more professional and official to know at least the name of the person you'll be contacting. I would say if you're going to submit the query and can't find the information address the email to "Representative of [name of agency or publisher]".

S T Alvynposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks,  this was just in case I encountered it rather than spend hours seeing what the protocol was as some say use 'To whom it may concern' and others don't agreeā€¦ Just wanted another POV!

working