jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

I'm currently looking into self-publishing my book.

1. Sylvia Leong profile image87
    Sylvia Leongposted 3 years ago

I'm currently looking into self-publishing my book.

Create Space (Amazon) looks like the one to go with.  Does anyone have any experience with Create Space, Lightening Source, LuLu or any other self-publishing platforms?  Thanks!

2. locaj profile image61
    locajposted 3 years ago

Create Space is easier for me to do than the other self-publishing. Create Space is free, and the site does charge you a small fee for me it was seven dollars and ninety-five cents to get my book so I preview, and edit it. Awesome experience, and will do it again. As soon as I can.

3. Sylvia Leong profile image87
    Sylvia Leongposted 3 years ago

Thanks for your answer, locaj!  To clarify: you can use Create Space's software to lay-out your book & see how it looks?  This is what cost you $7.95?  Also, do you still own your work if you use their software?

1. locaj profile image61
      locajposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you even get royalties from them...you actually send the work to Create Space as a PDF file. You choose the art work or pictures. You keep all your work.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

The only service I've used is CreateSpace. It's easy to use and I've always got prompt responses from the representatives when I had questions or problems of some kind. The fee locaj mentioned is the price they charge when you order the proof copy of your book. I always do that and proofread that copy, but now they have a way for you to check your layout and proofread online. You do have to format your own books and then upload the completed file so you'll need some editing software. I downloaded OpenOffice which is a free program and is fairly easy to use. If you decide to go with CreateSpace and need any help, pop over to my profile and send me an email. I'd be happy to help if I can and, if I don't know the answer to a question, I'll help you find it.

Sylvia Leongposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  Thank you sheilamyers!  I really appreciate this information & your offer to help.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image84
    Kathleen Cochranposted 3 years ago

I've used AuthorHouse, Lulu and CreateSpace.  CreateSpace is far and away the best option.  Easy to edit and you are on Amazon and Kindle at no expense.

Sylvia Leongposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Kathleen!  I really appreciate you sharing your experience.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I used Book Baby for my ebook version (not print). They have better distribution options than just amazon. But for print, I think I'm going with Create Space because it offered the cheapest wholesale copies (for myself) that I could find. Plus they offer a place online where people can order the book as opposed to me being in control of all physical sales. But, I haven't been working with them long and I have yet to see the proof, so I'm not the best advocate for create space at this time.

working