jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

When you read a hub with bad grammar, does it stop you in your tracks?

1. DaisysJourney profile image78
    DaisysJourneyposted 3 years ago

When you read a hub with bad grammar, does it stop you in your tracks?

Can you continue reading or do you immediately mark the writer's perspective as unworthy of reading?  Is the message more important than the format of representation or is the grammar and spelling the only "message" received?

2. Nesbyte profile image87
    Nesbyteposted 3 years ago

Depends on how bad it is. Everyone makes mistakes, and English isn't everyone's first language. But some hubs are either unreadable, or it's just too difficult to work out what they're trying to convey.

3. WillStarr profile image83
    WillStarrposted 3 years ago

I agree with Nesbyte...it depends on whether the errors are so bad that the content is unreadable.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

As a former teacher, yes. I want to get my red pencil and put  little checkmarks on some of them.
    On the other hand, I'll say with the others, "It depends". I really do appreciate and admire those non-native speakers who are trying to improve their English skills, and are able to put together an interesting, though somewhat imperfect, hub.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

If there are multiple mistakes and they're so obvious they distract me from the information being presented, I stop reading. I consider myself a professional writer and I know I make mistakes, but my brain automatically picks up on bad spelling and grammar. It drives me crazy.

6. Robert the Bruce profile image59
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

It depends on how bad the grammar is. I understand that people have been taught differently and people make mistakes, but if the sentences and paragraphs are obviously just strewn together in order to quickly prove a point, it shows me that what they are saying probably has not been thought out.

working