What is the best way learn how to write poetry and know what style of poetry you

1. Serendipity88 profile image61
    Serendipity88posted 3 years ago

What is the best way learn how to write poetry and know what style of poetry you are writing?

I write from the heart and love writing,  however,  I have to admit that I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of poetry.  I'm completely self taught and just picked up a pen one day. I realize that I lack the basic foundation and poetry goes beyond just rhyming.  I would really like to improve my writing.  If anyone has any suggestions,  I would greatly appreciate your input.  Thank you!

2. Diana Lee profile image84
    Diana Leeposted 3 years ago

Read whatever you can find on the subject. Material is everywhere. Then write poems like you know what you're doing. I find writing poetry a great stress reliever.

3. janshares profile image95
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

I recommend a great book that I used for self-study to learn more about the technique of poetry writing: "The Making of a Poem: A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms" by Mark Strand and Eavan Boland. I am self-taught as well but wanted to learn more about the different forms and how to apply technique. I hope you find it helpful.

working