What about listening to music helps write poetry!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Tanmoy Acharyaposted 12 years ago

HubPages is full of great poets. I feel some of them must have noticed how listening to good music inspires the Muse. Something to talk about smile smile

1. Disturbia profile image62
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me, listening to music is just another distraction in a world full of them.

1. profile image0
        Tanmoy Acharyaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The world is not full of original and sweet music. I dare say that what MTV offers is often terrible wink   ...And what we normally get in music not soothing at all.

There are [i]good[i] and [i]bad[i] in everything cool
        Be selective to be inspired.

2. profile image0
      lostwithinmyselfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love my music and i have always got my headphones on whilst writing. I find music soothing and it does sometimes inspire me to write.x

1. profile image0

I must quote 2 words from your reply -    "my music"  &  "sometimes inspire me"wink

Thanks for the reply. I will think on them!

3. KeithTax profile image73
      KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't write poetry, but when I write prose I blast music as a way of putting a wall around myself to focus my creative juices. I call it the Stephen King method since he does the same thing when writing.

1. profile image0

That was interesting: that is, music as a tool to keep the mind unaffected by any outside influence.

Has some psychological insight. Thanks!

4. lyns profile image70
      lynsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Tanmoy, it's the relaxation of the music that I found helps in writing poetry it aids my creative juices and allows me to think clearer

1. profile image0

Thanks for the reply lyns  smile

Keep up the creative spirit cool

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I definitely think listening to great music can inspire the muse within. Sometimes when I hear music, I hear a poem, but I rarely have music on while writing poetry, although I do distinctly remember being inspired by Beethoven's Symphony 7 in A Major, Opus 92 and wrote a poem called Beloved. I wrote it while listening to the piece. To me, there is so much music that is poetry.
      Being inspired by another form of art is like being inspired by the artist/composer himself. Art begets more art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uOxOgm5jQ4

a beautiful cello piece http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJZghyUP … r_embedded

1. profile image0

@rebekahELLE

I love what you said- "Art begets more art". This is awesome. And thanks for the links.

I am not sure, but is it that listening to Beethoven develops a poetry which has the spirit of Beethoven? Does it influence one's original tone, or just moves him/her to write his original voice? I don not know, I feel you have perhaps given me a clue in your reply cool

Thanks!

6. Don Crowson profile image61
      Don Crowsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Music and poetry both have rhythm. It beats with your heart and flowswith life. It also paints sound images that spur rhew emotions. Both touch the heart of the listener or reader.  The poe Edwin Robsin said, "Poetry is music."

Those who write free vers woud disagree because free verse should not have any meter or rhythm.  But most free verse writers try to make free verse flow.

And, I think it was Carlos Santana who said, "Music is poetry."   There is definitely a real connection between the two.

2. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 12 years ago

I love listening to a variety of music; rock, jazz, classical and more.  Music frequently gives me inspiration to write.  Not that the song itself is the inspiration, though that has happened, but the memories and/or emotions that it elicits becomes an inspiration for a poem.

Yes, there is a lot of horrible music out there, IMHO.  But just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, beautiful music is in the ear of the beholder.  Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's not meaningful or beautiful to someone else.

1. profile image0

I do agree. You are right in that the taste for music, or any other art, is a subjective choice. But I think that there are some common grounds in life, and not everything is subjective all the time they say.

If that were true, then there is no need for civilization, and living in a tree is as good as living in a modern house with all the facilities and refinements.

Well, it's very debatable cool To define something as good or bad         is a difficult task indeed.

However, what's important is to be creative! Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

3. trecords0 profile image61
    trecords0posted 12 years ago

I get way to distracted and start to use the same rhythms from the music.  I usually hear a poem before I write it, so I don't like to listen to music when writing.

1. profile image0

I am also thinking on the same track. Thanks for raising this interesting point again!

But sometimes I think a piece of good music may leave one unaffected, and just moved, to create his own art.

Thanks for this reply!

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I'm no poet, and I'm the first to say it.  I do write the occasional poem.  When I do I'm usually also writing it to a melody I'm making up along with it, in my head.  Then, though, I get concerned that anyone who reads it won't know the melody, and won't see "the rhythm" to the words.  Then I test reading it without allowing the imagined melody to "play" - and see if the words create their own rhythm without it.

5. chanroth profile image50
    chanrothposted 12 years ago

I listen to a lot of rock, jazz, blues, classical music, country....a lot of music that hit me through the ear. I also listen to a lot of Dharmma talk and translate it into poetry. Many poetry I have written I do not listen to music, I look for a peaceful and quiet place to write. Many of the poems comes directly from my personal experience and  sometime directly from ideas I quote off music or dharmma talk. I also write my own song and took one line out of it and turn it into another piece of poetry.

6. anupma profile image68
    anupmaposted 12 years ago

Ya, I write poems, but in Hindi. So I do not post it on Hub Pages. Music is a therapy that inspires so many thought in mind. I like to listen music most of my working time, whether I am writing an article or a poem. But sometimes it distract as well. It does not allow to generate new thoughts, may because of its lyrical quality.
    Anyways who like to hear music, can write with it, but some people get disturbed because of it. So it completely depends on you and your concentration level.

1. profile image55
      SanXuaryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it absolutely inspires poetry. It sets the mood in terms of generating how you need to feel in order to write what is on your mind. Sometimes I think I know a song and finally open the cover to read the lyrics, only to discover that I wrote my own song based on how I felt at the time. Sometimes it gives me the research to generate words we seldom use.

1. lyns profile image70

@SanXuary, lol, we all do that ....

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think it depends on the writer. I'm sure it can be a combination of both. Your comment reminds me of a memorable quote from the movie about Beethoven; Immortal Beloved. Schindler had asked him to define music.

"It is the power of music to carry one directly into the mental state of the composer. The listener has no choice. It is like hypnotism.

I think really great music has that power and influence. Think about the way you feel listening to certain music. Why do our moods change so suddenly, almost that we can't contain our emotion. I also think effective writers and poets have that potential.

1. lyns profile image70

@rebekahELLE, that is so true

2. profile image0

That is a brilliant reply. And very subtle  too.

I am feeling I must continue to talk cool

I've got a new direction, and I think that it is not only the auditory experiences that may inspire us to write poetry; but perhaps visual experiences, like watching a painting, may also bring similar effects.

I love painting, and I remember how intense a feeling it produced to my mind when I first saw Van Gogh's paintings. No less than listening to Beethoven.

Now my question is: Is it possible, by using this process that is in discussion, to automate and control our poetry?

It's like, if I want to write a sad poem, then just listen to sad music for a day; and also see some paintings of sad tune. And that will produce a sad poem the next morning!

I do know it's not a noble idea - but is it possible? Waiting for a subtle reply from everyone cool

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I suppose it could be if one wanted to produce that kind of poetry, but I'm not so sure poets want to automate their work.  I think, first of all, there needs to be inspiration. If while listening or observing sad music and images, one becomes inspired to write,  fantastic.  But if all the sad music does is make you sad and uninspired... probably the poem will not surface, or it will lack genuine substance and emotional value.

Although there are times when one has to write a specific kind of poem, perhaps for an assignment or job, special events.
    There are people who make money writing for specific occasions.  Listening to topical music, etc., could certainly help, but it's the poets work to construct and compose the poem to fill the need.

9. profile image0
    Tanmoy Acharyaposted 12 years ago

Great reply. I have my eyes opened. I have found in this conclusion, that poetry which is automated is no poetry at all. That will be immediately recognized by readers as second-rate. I must thank you (rebekahELLE) to help me reach this conclusion I have been searching for.

I am always quite disturbed by various genres and writing styles in poetry, that I seemed to have dis-remembered the most valuable principle for writing a poem: that it must come from the heart.

Thanks cool

[I thank everyone who have taken part in this conversation. I never used the forum before, and have been delighted to take part here.]

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)